Bonsai forum

Cherry Soil ?

• Tokugawa0079
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Cherry Soil ? was created by Tokugawa0079

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56792
I live in UK and want to focus on Cherry Bonsai trees such as Prunus serrulata, what Soil do you recommend for these trees? Somebody said to me 60% akadama with 40% Spagnum moss but not too sure? Cherry trees grow well where I live because of our rain lol
by Tokugawa0079

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Cherry Soil ?

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56793
The best soil is allways a hot topic. People grow bonsai successfully in various different mixes.

The best soil for you is to a larger extent dependent on your climate and care than tree species. So the best option is to meet People that grows bonsai successfully in your area and copy their soil and care routine.

If you have a very rainy climate 40% organics in the soil sounds much to me.
by Tropfrog

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Cherry Soil ?

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56805
I am getting out of akadama. While it is pretty dry for the summer here, the rest of the year is rain, rain, rain, and the akadama turns into mud. I want to repot the tree when the tree wants it, not when the soil wants it.

Your climate might break it down faster.
by Ivan Mann

• Tokugawa0079
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Tokugawa0079 on topic Cherry Soil ?

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56871

Ivan Mann wrote: I am getting out of akadama. While it is pretty dry for the summer here, the rest of the year is rain, rain, rain, and the akadama turns into mud. I want to repot the tree when the tree wants it, not when the soil wants it.

Your climate might break it down faster.

Well that's it, it seems to get alot rainier in the winter these days in the UK but very dry and hot in summer so I don't really want to go 100% akadama if its just going to mush or the roots are just going to dry out in the summer. What do you recommend?
by Tokugawa0079

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56889
In the past, I used equal parts pumice, Alabama, and lava rock, and then toss in some organics like peat moss for acid lovers or coffee grounds for others. Some people around here grind up pine bark or pine cones. The point of the organics is to hold some water in the summers when it is hotter than 95F/35C for weeks at a time. (That's the low at night. Daytime is 105/40.). I still have two bags of akadama, so I won't need to do anything for a while.

Probably I will increase organics to replace akadama. I will talk around with others here see what works for them.
by Ivan Mann

• FrankC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 160

Replied by FrankC on topic Cherry Soil ?

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56894

Ivan Mann wrote: In the past, I used equal parts pumice, Alabama, and lava rock, and then toss in some organics like peat moss for acid lovers or coffee grounds for others. Some people around here grind up pine bark or pine cones. The point of the organics is to hold some water in the summers when it is hotter than 95F/35C for weeks at a time. (That's the low at night. Daytime is 105/40.). I still have two bags of akadama, so I won't need to do anything for a while.

Probably I will increase organics to replace akadama. I will talk around with others here see what works for them.

Alabama ?
by FrankC

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Cherry Soil ?

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56901
Obvious autocorrect not knowing akadama get.
by Tropfrog

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56907
I really should read the entire thing before I submit. Autocorrect knows how to spell akadama so why it did that is a mystery. Coincidentally, yes, this is Alabama.

Weather here is completely unpredictable. We have had twice our normal rainfall to this point already. I could go on.
by Ivan Mann

• Tokugawa0079
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Tokugawa0079 on topic Cherry Soil ?

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56929

Ivan Mann wrote: In the past, I used equal parts pumice, Alabama, and lava rock, and then toss in some organics like peat moss for acid lovers or coffee grounds for others. Some people around here grind up pine bark or pine cones. The point of the organics is to hold some water in the summers when it is hotter than 95F/35C for weeks at a time. (That's the low at night. Daytime is 105/40.). I still have two bags of akadama, so I won't need to do anything for a while.

Is this was you use for cherrys?
by Tokugawa0079