Bonsai forum

Possible dumb question about soil

• ManelAcacio
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Possible dumb question about soil was created by ManelAcacio

Posted 4 years 3 days ago #58219
I'm a begginer bonsai enthusiast and I am trying to learn about the potting process and repotting (among other things of course) but one doubt stroke my mind. All the videos and articles that I read, to know if a plant needs repotting we need to get it out of the pot and watch if the roots circulate all around.

All the videos and pictures that I saw, the soil has a part organic so if you take the tree out to see, the soil comes out as a block easy.

My question goes to the soils that don't have organic in them, like mixture with akadama and Pomice for example. In this type of soils, the soil never goes to a "blocky" state because of his caracteristics, so when you need to check the roots don't you destroy the potting of the tree? Or in this type of soil you can put it back in and its good?

Sorry for the possible noob question and thanks very much for the help.

PS - this is because I have an operculicarya that I started to grow some roots to the top of trunk, I know its normal for this type of tree, but now that is still spring I wanted to see if it needs repotting. Other is a Acer palmatum that has a tick root (like a trunk) going out the drainage hole.

This is a beautiful world to learn and every day I am learning new things. And as beginner I am trying not to make the same error that is be impatient and try to do all without learn it properly.
by ManelAcacio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Possible dumb question about soil

Posted 4 years 3 days ago #58221
every taking out of a pot disturbs the roots. o matter which substrate.

That being said.. Also with coarse substrate the soil will turn into a block.

Normally you repot once drainage is reduced or growth is reduced etc
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: ManelAcacio

• ManelAcacio
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by ManelAcacio on topic Possible dumb question about soil

Posted 4 years 3 days ago #58222
Thank you very much.
The Operculicarya (I call it Arya, i have names for the trees like me granda did when I was little on her trees =)) is growing awsome so I think that answers my both questions.
The Acer Palmatum was a gift from a relative bought at a real bonsai store 1 week ago so I don't have idea of growth yet but I saw if I saw root in the drainage hole but maybe she was just repotted like that.
by ManelAcacio

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Possible dumb question about soil

Posted 4 years 3 days ago #58223

ManelAcacio wrote: The Operculicarya (I call it Arya, i have names for the trees

I'm going to be a total nerd (and probably a complete pain in the ass) but I don't like giving trees names.
I do like titles like 'Goshin' (Protector of the spirit). Artworks have titles, so I think bonsai can have too (none of my trees have names, they do not have a level to deserve a title)

Reason why I think trees should not have human or human like names is that trees are not humans or animals.
People giving their bonsai names like Bonnie (see what I did there? :) ) or other cute names, often treat their trees like that: like cute little puppies that need to be fed and protected and cuddled and kept warm and not be cold outside. That kills plants.
Last Edit:4 years 3 days ago by Auk
Last edit: 4 years 3 days ago by Auk.

• ManelAcacio
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by ManelAcacio on topic Possible dumb question about soil

Posted 4 years 3 days ago #58227
I see your point.
Mine are outside (I have three outside, acer palmaum, quercus suber and olivea europa), just operculicarya inside, but now with the spring temperatures reaching 20º maybe I will put it outside a bit, the tree is already near a full size window.
I put names in it because say operculicarya every time its bit anoying eheheheh. Quercus Suber in portuguese has the name "Sobreiro" and Olivea Europa is "Oliveira" so that ones are kinda easy..but acer Palmatum deshojo its a bit long ahaha
But this just create a connection with a tree, I know that they are plants that needs to live what nature hast to give. In the beggining I was always carefull when moving and stuff but now I am completely confortable with them (the acer is the one that I am still observing more).
by ManelAcacio

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Possible dumb question about soil

Posted 4 years 3 days ago #58237

ManelAcacio wrote: I put names in it because say operculicarya every time its bit anoying eheheheh.

True and why not. Just don't take me too seriouisly :)
by Auk