Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting Picea Abies Sapling 3 years 10 months ago #58482

• bhacktus
  • bhacktus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Good morning,

I have been growing this Picea Abies, pictured below, from sapling for about 2 years now. The plant still resides in its original peat pot and soil, but I worry about its slow growth progress over the last year and its leaf coloration now. I haven't had a stable place to put it outside, but I could supplement by leaving it on a window sill in an unheated vestibule with the window open (even through winter). I am considering repotting the plant this spring to a more stable pot that might lend itself to being outside. I've also read that Picea Abies responds best to a mix of 33-33-33 lava rock, akadama, and pumice.

Is repotting at this stage a good idea? Is switching the plant from organic to better draining soil a good idea?

I haven't been able to find many resources dealing with saplings at this stage so any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting Picea Abies Sapling 3 years 10 months ago #58483

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
That needs to be outside asap, if it isnt too late already. Just place it pot and all in a bigger pot with soil, and water throughly- the pot it is now in will disolve.
( you do know that picea isnt the best species for bonsai, and that there will not grow a bonsai out of this but a normal tree?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: