• Clicio
  • Clicio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Close up 01

Close up 02

The right components are:

1-) A mix of 50% Perlite and 50% Peat. Great as an organic acidic soil with good aeration, Azaleas and Camellias love it.
The downsides of Perlite is that it floats and is stark white, contrasting heavily with the peat.

2-) A mix of coconut fibers, small pine bark and charcoal, often sold as orchid mix. Good as an organic complement and to acidifying high ph soils. I use it as an add on for Azaleas and pines.

3-) Diatomaceous Earth or DE. Sold as NAPA 8822 in the USA, and kitty litter in Europe and South America, it is white most of the times. Holds a lot of moisture, good aeration but degrades after a few years. I don't like the color, but it works.

4-) Expanded clay, smallest size, sold as LECA in Europe and Cinesita in South America, a light and good component, good color, I don't like the round ones.

5-) River gravel size 2, adds weight and drainage to the pot, usually used as part of the bottom layer or to aid the drainage of heavily organic soil. Better than grit in my experience. Doesn't hold water or nutrients.

6-) That was easy: Lava rock, a classic bonsai soil component. Excellent color.

7-) The cheap, easily available component, oftentimes used as the main or unique soil is high fired crushed bricks. Almost as good as Akadama: good drainage, holds water and nutrients and releases them slowly to the roots, never degrades if there is no frost, but the orange color is horrible.

8-) Akadama. As there are few chances of winter frost in Sao Paulo, it lasts for years here. We know it can turn into dust in cold countries, but it is the best and most expensive component. Even if used only as top soil it is a great visual aid to guess the dryness of the soil and the need for watering.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Weekend soil challenge - Name the components 3 years 8 months ago #61797

• Clicio
  • Clicio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I guess there are no winners this time, as Aivar1988 and Tropfrog came very close but both mixed some components up and none guessed the crushed bricks.
Akadama and lava rock were pretty obvious and Perlite+Peat is a classic.
Thank you guys, well done!
Thanks Luc for participating nice try!

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Weekend soil challenge - Name the components 3 years 8 months ago #61802

• Aivar1988
  • Thanks received: 11
Haha nice one ;) I had trouble with 7 as I have used moler clay that was the same color.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

• Page: