Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Giant Sequoia 3 years 6 months ago #63210

• yosemitesamiam
  • yosemitesamiam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
About 9 years ago I traveled through my home territory of Northern California, and the giant redwood forests with my family. We purchased a tiny starter tree not bigger than the 1” wide tube it was in at the gift shop next to the Chandelier Tree in Leggett, CA. I planted it with the hopes of a really large scale bonsai project some day. It resides in Spokane, WA and is planted in a well draining half-whiskey barrel. It over winters in a protected but cold garage. The beast now stands 7’7” tall from soil, and the base of the trunk is 4” in diameter and growing rapidly. (It grew over a foot in height this year alone). I guess my question is where to start? Where can I have a pit made that is big enough? How do you wire a tree with no tap root, which uses extremely shallow and fragile close to surface feeders? I suppose if anyone has successfully kept one of these, or knows of a similar tree that would follow similar “rules” I’d be appreciative.

Also, the last photo is an example of a fairly bent branch. What material ms are considered safe for wiring these up?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by yosemitesamiam. Reason: Photos attached sideways.
  • Page: