Jabocitaba Question

• Ivan Mann
  • Away Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Jabocitaba Question was created by Ivan Mann

Posted 3 years 5 months ago #63737
The temperatures outside dropped to below 50F/10C, so the jabocitaba came inside. And, following the yearly protocol, immediately dropped most of the leaves. There are a some new shoots popping out here and there.

So, is this a good time to repot and cut it back? Dropping leaves indicates dormant period on the outside trees. Is it the same for the jabocitaba? Or is this a stressful time and hold off until summer? In the past I have repotted in summer, and the last time was around two years and a half ago. I was planning on a chop back on the next repot. Would that be better now or next summer?
by Ivan Mann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Jabocitaba Question

Posted 3 years 5 months ago #63742
strange. Mind came in some 3 weeks ago. And no leaf dropped. In fact, I have about 10cm new growth on it..

I would avoid repotting tropicals in early winter. But that is based on short days and therefor energy-negative state. If you have no foliage..
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

• Ivan Mann
  • Away Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Jabocitaba Question

Posted 3 years 5 months ago #63756

leatherback wrote: strange. Mind came in some 3 weeks ago. And no leaf dropped. In fact, I have about 10cm new growth on it..

I would avoid repotting tropicals in early winter. But that is based on short days and therefor energy-negative state. If you have no foliage..

There is some new growth, but not much. It sits just inside a window facing morning sun, but outside it got pretty much all day. In the same room are three large fish tanks, and the humidity is usually around 60%, so that's not an issue.

I'll wait till spring.
by Ivan Mann