Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Is my bonsai dying can I repot? Help! 3 years 4 months ago #63870

• Theanniem
  • Theanniem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi

My bonsai Penelope has been totally fine, never had any problems but for the past week her leaves have turned colour to brown and are falling off.

I didn't repot her in Spring because she looked like she didn't need it. But they appear a little looped. The seller told me to keep her indoors near a window so I always have.

Is it safe to repot her now? I'm worried she won't survive till spring.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Theanniem.

Is my bonsai dying can I repot? Help! 3 years 4 months ago #63871

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
You have a privet, which needs to be outside to survive. If temps in your part of the world are still sub zero ( day and night) you can gradually place it outside , in the sun. If it freezes already, place it in an unheatd room/garage/garden shed where it doesnt freeze. When spring comes outside with it, where it belongs.
Don't repot, there is no need for it.
How often do you water? The moss looks green enough, but ground onthe sides of the pot seems dried out?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Theanniem

Is my bonsai dying can I repot? Help! 3 years 4 months ago #63872

• Theanniem
Thank you so much.

It's not that cold yet so I will put it outside from today when the sun's out, then when it begins to freeze I'll bring her to the garage.

I water whenever the soil feel dry and using a spray so it's gentle. I gave a water bath two weeks ago. Yeah I didn't understand why it looks so dry in the corner. I lifted it slightly to check the roots which are looping a bit. I was considering adding a small bit of soil to the edges?

Thank you so much for your help.

Is my bonsai dying can I repot? Help! 3 years 4 months ago #63873

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
...now i understand why your moss is so green. You are basically growing moss and killing your tree by gently spraying. The water doesnt reach the roots of the tree under the moss.
Take it outside, and give it a good shower with a garden hose or watering can, untill water spills from the drainage hole underneath. Repeat when soil feels dry to the touch. You can also remove the moss so you have a better view on the soil.Do not give water baths... Remember trees grow outside, your goal is to mimic their natural living conditions: they do not grow inside, and get water from the rain, which falls from above...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Theanniem

Is my bonsai dying can I repot? Help! 3 years 4 months ago #63876

• Theanniem
Okay thank you so much. I will do all of that.

• Page: