Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Re-potting 2 Delonix Regia and 2 Jacaranda Mimosifolia? 3 years 4 months ago #63914

• doudou8310
  • doudou8310's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

I live in an apartment in Los Angeles, CA (zone 10b).

I have 2 Delonix Regia (aka flame tree) seedlings and 2 Jacaranda Mimosifolia (aka Black Poui) seedling, all from seeds sowed on 9/22/20, and grown in a grow tent under a grow light:

As you can see in the pics above, roots have started coming out of the pots... I thus think it's time to repot them.

Note: the better looking Flame Tree and the 2 Black Poui are in biodegradable pots, while the other flame tree is not.

I'm thinking of "repotting" these 4 seedlings, each into their own gallon pot, but have a few questions prior to do so:

- Would it be safe to basically "plant" the biodegradable pots into the aforementioned gallon pots?
- What kind of soil would you recommend?
  • 100% pumice?
  • Mix of Pumice, Lava, Calcined Clay and Pine Bark?
  • Regular potting soil?
  • Something else altogether?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re-potting 2 Delonix Regia and 2 Jacaranda Mimosifolia? 3 years 2 months ago #64859

• uniquemonique15
  • Thanks received: 0
Wow your tree's look beautiful and healthy! I unfortunately am in the same position as you are with a Rocky Mountain Pine and a Norway Spruce. So hopefully once someone see that this thread is actually getting added to they can come rescue us with some great advice.

However, I do have a question for you. Did you replace the initial soil that the kit gave you as you were maintaining your trees?

Re-potting 2 Delonix Regia and 2 Jacaranda Mimosifolia? 3 years 2 months ago #64863

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Wow your tree's look beautiful and healthy! I unfortunately am in the same position as you are with a Rocky Mountain Pine and a Norway Spruce. So hopefully once someone see that this thread is actually getting added to they can come rescue us with some great advice.

However, I do have a question for you. Did you replace the initial soil that the kit gave you as you were maintaining your trees?

Hi Monique,

I would recommend you making a separate thread for your trees. Else the conversations start mixing and things get really confusing :)

Re-potting 2 Delonix Regia and 2 Jacaranda Mimosifolia? 3 years 2 months ago #64864

• taggertbutterfield
  • Thanks received: 5
I am still an amateur but most websites and books seem to think that any well drained soil works. I have been mixing compost, lava rock, and vermiculite in a ratio of about 2-1-1, respectively.

Re-potting 2 Delonix Regia and 2 Jacaranda Mimosifolia? 3 years 2 months ago #64865

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
The trees looks healthy enough in that soil. I would not waste my money on anything else than ordinary potting soil at this stage.

• Page: