Bonsai forum

Satsuki repot

• jdmids
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Satsuki repot was created by jdmids

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65109
Hi all, I recently purchased a satsuki bonsai which I believe is in need of a repot - soil is holding alot of water which I know is not good for them, and it seems quite pot bound. It was discounted because it’s yet to flower and hasn’t been identified and came from a Japanese grower ‘having a clear out’. I bought it from a reputable UK Bonsai supplier. It’s currently in my garage with plenty of light and after nearly 4 weeks the soil is still really wet and I haven’t watered it at all. I think the tree is also starting to show signs of distress and the leaves are now starting to turn either yellow or brown - I don’t think it’s the tree starting to shred it’s winter leaves which I hear can be quite dramatic and unnerving to see for the first time - or hopefully it is and that’s one less worry!

I believe now in the Uk is the perfect time to repot them (according to Peter Chan - Herons bonsai). There are also references to repotting satsuki immediately after flowering (around June in the Uk) but Peter thinks this is fine in Japan when it’s the start of the rainy season and is also very humid - just not great in the UK when our summers are usually very dry and the temperature fluctuates wildly from high teens to low 30 degrees Celsius. I agree with his logic considering our summers for the last few years. I’ve also read several times that it’s a good idea to bare root a new bonsai if you are unsure of the quality of the soil etc. I know you have to be VERY careful with the very fine roots. However, I’m struggling to find any reference online to say whether or not you can bare root satsuki azaleas, and if you can, how to do it.

I’ve bare rooted a couple of acers and a Chinese elm last year with no issues. Does anyone have any experience of bare rooting satsukis please? Or how should I deal with the poor draining soil?

If you shouldn’t bare root, I was thinking of gently removing the top 1-2cm of soil and slightly more around the edge and underneath and then plant it back in the same pot with 80% Kanuma and 20% chopped spaghnum moss.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
This image is hidden for guests.
All comments and suggestions welcome! Thanks
by jdmids

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Satsuki repot

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65116
This plant should be outside not in. Do not repot now it is far too early, It is suffering from being inside. It should not flower until May/June time, there may be buds but that is normal. Use only Kanuma when you do come to re pot which I would do in March and not earlier
by m5eaygeoff

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Satsuki repot

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65117
I suggest you watch Peter Warren's youtube video.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdmids

• jdmids
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by jdmids on topic Satsuki repot

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65127
Thanks for the recommendation that’s exactly what I was searching for! Answers pretty much all my questions and concerns!
by jdmids