Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

My first ever re pot 3 years 2 months ago #65625

• Madeyes88
  • Madeyes88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello again,

I am planning on re potting my Chinese Elm this spring. It will be the first time I have ever tried to do it, and also therefore the first time my tree will have been re potted in possibly 4 years, so I imagine it is overdue.

I am plenty nervous about the whole process, but do have some questions.

Firstly, what kind of soil/mix should I use? It is an outdoor tree that has just overwintered outside as well. Should this mix be used from bottom of pot to top, or is the idea to have layers of different soil?

Secondly, given both my beginner status and the fact the tree has not been re potted for a long time, how much of the current soil/roots should I be looking to remove? It often appears from reading that removing a good portion of the soil/roots is the whole idea, but whilst avoiding damaging any of the more substantial roots?

Finally, again as a beginner and with the tree being in the soil it came in, should I be trying to get rid of as much of the original soil as possible?

Appreciate the advice and help,

Hope all are well

Regards

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My first ever re pot 3 years 2 months ago #65627

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
The best soil is depending on your care and climate. All of them must be aligned to get a healthy tree. The best thing is to reach out to anyone doing bonsai in your area and copy their soil mix and care regime. Maybe they can support in re potting as well?

A chineese elm can take quite drastic root prunning if done in right time and given the best aftercare. However, you dont prune roots primarily to reduce root mass, you do it primary to design a nice nebary and to fit in your decired pot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Madeyes88

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

My first ever re pot 3 years 2 months ago #65628

• Madeyes88
  • Madeyes88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you for your reply.

I see, I shall do some research for people in my area then and see if I can find some local advice!

• Page: