Repot shop bought Catmona?

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Repot shop bought Catmona? was created by Spud in Disguise

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #65665
Hey, I bought a Carmona from a garden centre today as a tree to learn on (as a beginner). I have a few ideas on the end shape and style I am going to try, but before beginning I am wondering whether I should consider repotting. The soils seems fairly compact, and was heaped in a mound around the trunk. Alternately would it be more important to simply give the tree time to get used to the conditions in my home before attempting this?

I am unsure on the age of the tree, or when it was last repotted. I think it may recently have been submerged in water though (several others in the store were being treating when I went in).

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit:3 years 2 months ago by Spud in Disguise

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Spud in Disguise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Repot shop bought Catmona?

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #65667
Oh, another beginner with a carmona. I am sorry to tell you that even very experienced bonsai artists fail with this species, it is not beginner friendly and will most likelly die in your care.
by Tropfrog

Repot shop bought Catmona? - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Replied by Spud in Disguise on topic Repot shop bought Catmona?

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #65668
Nice, duly noted.

Despite that, what would people’s thoughts be on repotting? I am thinking maybe best to let it settle in first?
by Spud in Disguise

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Repot shop bought Catmona?

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #65670
One repot for a reason. That is old and broken down substrate and no more space for root growth. And even if it is due for repotting it is still advicable to get a new tree to settle in new conditions and get to know the tree before doing any root work.
by Tropfrog

Replied by Spud in Disguise on topic Repot shop bought Catmona?

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #65672
That's great, thank you for the advice. I guess wish me luck!
by Spud in Disguise