Bonsai forum

Large 1” deep pots

• Plantnut
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Large 1” deep pots was created by Plantnut

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #66104
So I am new here. Been doing this a few years with junipers. My dad has been into junipers forever. He just gave me a box full of old pots and one is this large oval that is like an inch deep. I have seen images of trees in pots like this but don’t have a specimen to suit this large pot. Curious what species of trees do best in such shallow pots? Any experts know?

Thanks. Just starting to consider other tree species and wondered about this big pot down the road. I am in SoCal and junipers do great here. I understand black pine does also. I killed a maple once....anyhow. Just wondered about large 1” deep pots.
by Plantnut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Large 1” deep pots

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #66112
The depth of the pot typically reflects the diameter of the trunk. So a 1 inch deep pot would be used for a tree with a 1 inch trunk. If it is very wide: The width of the pot typically reflects the height of the tree, where the with od the pot is about 2/3 of the height of the tree.

Shallow VERY wide containers are often used for groups / forest plantings or slender wide deciduous, notably japanese maples.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Remy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.