Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Chinese Pepper not doing well 3 years 1 month ago #66717

• Wonker
  • Wonker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all, this is my first post and like a lot of first time posters I’m after help and advice please. Last October, my wife bought me a ‘bonsai tree’ for my birthday. It is a Chinese pepper tree (zanthoxylum piperitum). I know many of you will it’s nothing more than a ‘stick in a pot’ but it’s my first bonsai and I like it and I’m having fun learning about pruning, wiring etc. Last week I tried to repot it, including changing the soil type and root pruning. I don’t know if I did something wrong but it seems to have had a negative effect on the tree. The leaves have always been vibrant and have sprouted anew every time I’ve trimmed them. Now, though, they are limp and dull; they haven’t dropped but are sad and lifeless. The tree has been kept indoors and was looking healthy prior to repotting. The new soil is 100% molar clay and seems to be doing its job; it’s free draining and holds the moisture well. I’m hoping you will say that it’s just shock of some sort and all will be well but I’m feeling a bit pessimistic about it!The photos attached show what it was like the day I received it, just before repotting, during and after. Hopefully, you can put my mind at ease. Thank you. Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chinese Pepper not doing well 3 years 1 month ago #66718

• Wonker
Sorry. I added the images and they were there when I previewed but they’re not there now so I’ll try again!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Chinese Pepper not doing well 3 years 1 month ago #66720

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
it is looking very unhappy.

What I like to do with tropicals in trouble.. I take a large transparant bag, and put the whole ting in there. That will keep the humidity near 100% supporting the plant untill it re-establishes. You might have done too much on the roots, and it being inside in a dry environment makes it hard to recover.

Chinese Pepper not doing well 3 years 1 month ago #66725

• Wonker
Thanks for the response. I’m assuming I need to keep it watered as well as the plastic bag? Do I need to take the bag off from time to time to let air get at it?
How long do you think it will take to recover?

Thanks.

Paul

Chinese Pepper not doing well 3 years 1 month ago #66726

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
if the bag is closed, it looses very little water. Opening it once or twice a day for ahlf an hour reduces risk of fungal problems.

How long .. time will tell

Chinese Pepper not doing well 3 years 1 month ago #66727

• Wonker
Thank you. Fingers crossed.

Chinese Pepper not doing well 3 years 3 weeks ago #67049

• Wonker
Just a quick update and it’s not good news but maybe I’m being impatient as I’ve no idea if this will recover or if it’s dead. It’s been 2.5 weeks since repotting. I’m still trying to work out what I did wrong. You can see the extent of the roots in the pictures and I did not cut any more than that. The soil is 100% molar clay which I’ve read numerous posts saying that should be fine! It’s very frustrating to think that I’ve killed this poor little tree and I don’t know what I did!Anyway, these 2 pictures show its current state and the bag that now covers it as advised.

Thanks, Paul

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Chinese Pepper not doing well 3 years 2 weeks ago #67201

• Wonker
Can anyone please let me know if I'm wasting my time or is there still hope?

I'm still wondering what I did wrong. I don't think there's anything wrong in using Molar Clay but maybe the particle sizes were too big. The tree is small and the pot is only about 16cm wide. The particle sizes of the clay range between 5-10mm but I would say mostly 8mm. Is that too big for such a small tree?

Thanks

Paul

Chinese Pepper not doing well 3 years 2 weeks ago #67205

• kebras
  • Thanks received: 6
Hi Paul,

I got one! And far I know, it's very fragile. He's (it's a boy) losing 2 or 3 leaves everyday, and needs humidity above 70%. That's not easy to get in dry climates like mine, but I pulverize it every morning and leave a bit of water in the plate below the pote (not touching bonsai), hoping to create more humidity.
I think there's still hope. Let it recover by its own, you did a lot of cut down the roots. Give it time. That suggestion with the bag, I think i'm gonna to the same once in a while with my Pepper and Carmona, I think is a very good advice.

Good luck :)

Chinese Pepper not doing well 3 years 2 weeks ago #67206

• Wonker
Thanks for the response and I will leave it and keep watering as and when but I was just wondering if the soil was too big! I suppose I could mix it with grit or something organic like potting soil but I daren't move it again for a while!

Thanks

• Page: