Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Do I repot an older bonsai? 2 years 10 months ago #69348

• dannyjl
  • dannyjl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
New to this. Just purchased a 20-yo Juniperus procumbens. Should I repot it next spring? I have no idea when that was last done. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do I repot an older bonsai? 2 years 10 months ago #69349

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Generally youvrepot conifers at longer intervals than broadleafs and older trees with longer intervals than young trees. If your tree is due for repotting is impossible to say with the given information. Is the tree pot bound? What soil is it in and most important, does it drain good.

In bonsai there seems to be a inflation going on in terms of age. Both people and businesses often claims older than they actually is and it is really hard to tell for sure without damaging the tree. But if you truelly have a 20 year old juniper, I would not recomend doing your first repotting by yourself. Join a club and look for someone experience to evaluate the situation and if it needs repotting do it under supervision/help from that member.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dannyjl

Do I repot an older bonsai? 2 years 10 months ago #69362

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121

In bonsai there seems to be a inflation going on in terms of age. Both people and businesses often claims older than they actually is and it is really hard to tell for sure without damaging the tree. But if you truelly have a 20 year old juniper, I would not recomend doing your first repotting by yourself.

Agree on the suggestion, in general, but just want to point out that "20 years old juniper bonsai" != "20 years juniper plant"
If you get what I mean...

The first is most likely a well-established bonsai, and as such can be very expensive (depending who shaped and maintained it and how), the second just a relatively young plant (and usually rather cheap).

So, if you're in the first situation, definitely get the help of someone with serious experience.
If you're in the second, while getting that same help won't harm and would probably guarantee a faster learning curve, you're also in a situation where you can experiment a bit and learn from your own experience (doesn't mean you don't have to study tho)...

Do I repot an older bonsai? 2 years 10 months ago #69363

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
I agree with the two previous posters. If you don't know what you are doing i would not repot on your own. Repotting isnt just replacing substrate. There are so many things that you can do wrong, including wrong time of the year, bare rooting, pruning too much, wrong aftercare,....
Find someone to help you. Your tree will not die instantly if you dont repot now, you have enough time.

A picture of your tree would help

Last edit: Post by lucR.

Do I repot an older bonsai? 2 years 10 months ago #69365

• dannyjl
  • dannyjl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Yeah I guess it would have been helpful to include a picture.

I'll put one up today after work.

Thanks for all of the advice!

• Page: