Bonsai forum

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Would jade plants do well in akadama? 2 years 9 months ago #70034

• ukamikazu
  • Thanks received: 3

So succulents won’t tolerate slight acidity? Then what types of plants do well in akadama? Just conifers? I know conifers like slightly acidic mediums.

Depends on the plant. Every species is different. You'll need to research your plant of interest.

And it isn't all succulents, just genus Crassula that's particular. Undoubtedly there are others. Documentation online indicates a lower limit of 6.8. There's loads of reliable documentation online. No single one of us can possibly know it all.

Would jade plants do well in akadama? 2 years 9 months ago #70060

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132
My understanding was that Akadama was in neutral in PH. And that every substrate or soil, can change in more or less acidic over time. You can use diffrent things(or products) for lowering ph or upping ph. So that would actually be no problem if you know what you do.

I do like your understanding of atoms and stuf, but to say akadama is acidic... then why use japanse bonsai artists use kanuma for acidic plants like azalea? As those acidic loving plants don't do good in akadama?

Then why are we disccusing this issue about akadama, while all soils ph values change over time?

Would jade plants do well in akadama? 2 years 9 months ago #70063

• ukamikazu
  • Thanks received: 3
No, akadama isn't itself acidic, please reread my post because I never said that In fact, this is the second time I'm repeating myself. It's ability to scavenge certain ions tends to help solution acidify somewhat over time. This is great for many plants and it turns akadama into a small reservoir of nutrients. There just happens to be a specific succulent plant that happens to be very sensitive to this effect. That's what we're talking about. That's what I'm saying.

Overbroad generalizations like, "All succulents can't stand acidic soil" and "akadama is acidic" are very dangerous thoughts.

Would jade plants do well in akadama? 2 years 9 months ago #70064

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
As is the idea that bonsai need to be planted in akadama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog, ukamikazu
  • Page: