Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Need guidance on Escallonia repot timing please... 2 years 8 months ago #70399

• PotNoodle
  • PotNoodle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all. Went nursery treasure hunting with my Mom about 2 weeks ago and found a beautiful Frades Escallonia or "Pink" Escallonia. It has a nice gnarled trunk with good movement. But so far I have only done some structural pruning and some deadheading of spent flowers. I want to repot it into a nice mica pot that I have but I don't know about the seasonal timing. I've looked a bit on google but get mixed info, one source said spring while another says fall... There actually isn't much info at all about Escallonia's as bonsai to be found in general, so if any of you guys have any repotting guidance for me on this particular specie I would be most thankful. But for now I guess it will be in it's 5 gallon nursery pot waiting to be graduated. Thanks again in advance for any help, and I'm in California hardiness zone 10a by the way. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need guidance on Escallonia repot timing please... 2 years 8 months ago #70402

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
DO NOT RE POT NOW. Wait until you have learned how to water and look after this plant. Re pot in Spring, that is the optimum time, I hope you have it in the sun outside and are watering regularly, when needed not to a schedule. I suggest that you buy a book and read how to look after trees in general and this in particular.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PotNoodle

Need guidance on Escallonia repot timing please... 2 years 8 months ago #70517

• PotNoodle
  • PotNoodle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi m5eaygeoff! Thanks for the good advice. I do have it out in full sun and am not watering on a schedule. It has not gotten super hot here yet thankfully. I have not looked into books on Escallonias but as far as bonsai the hobby I am not new to it and have learned from 3 books. I am however new to this species. Before the nursery treasure hunt I had never heard of it hehe. Thanks again for the guidance, I will hold off repotting until next spring. :)

• Page: