• Page:

TOPIC: Granule Size of Inorganic Soil?

Granule Size of Inorganic Soil? 6 years 5 months ago #1910

Hi Folks,

I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment. :pinch: I'm in the middle of sifting my Diatomatious Earth and I don't know what size the granules should be for potting purposes. My colander has holes from 3mm to 5mm and when I'm done sifting there's very little left in the colander. I have a screen sifter with holes measuring 2mm ~ is this the one I should be using? :huh: Please help!
  • Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Don't have negative thoughts about things you cannot control. Instead, invest your energy in the positive, present moment.

Re: Granule Size of Inorganic Soil? 6 years 5 months ago #1923

Hi Leslie. Do you think plants really care about the grain-size ? The grains are indications. So you could say: A grain of 2mm is good. Someone else will tell you 4 mm is perfect. I believe the mixture of finesse is best; Allowing holes to drain the soil, yet not so thick as to allow the roots to dry out too quickly.
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • For the love of plants
  • Thank you received: 1098
Ficus and bonsai. Lots can be said.
Only small things can ever become big
growingbonsai.net: Learn how to grow bonsai

Re: Granule Size of Inorganic Soil? 6 years 5 months ago #1931

Hey Leslie,
Just make sure the granules are big enough so they don't clog the drainage screen at the bottom of your pot. When I sift mine I'm always surprised at how little is actually big enough to use. I sift mine through a plastic colander that has holes a little bigger than the drainage screen.
Lance
  • Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 61
patience........wait for it..... :)

Re: Granule Size of Inorganic Soil? 6 years 5 months ago #1932

Thank you Jelle. I like that..."the mixture of finesse". ;) You make a very good point about the roots.

Thank you Lance. If it wasn't for those odd 5mm holes, my aluminum strainer would be perfect. :unsure: ...sigh...

It was midnight lastnight and here I was still straining my DE. I had baby seedlings that *had* to be potted!!!
  • Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Don't have negative thoughts about things you cannot control. Instead, invest your energy in the positive, present moment.

Re: Granule Size of Inorganic Soil? 6 years 5 months ago #1948

Pinkham wrote: Hey Leslie,
Just make sure the granules are big enough so they don't clog the drainage screen at the bottom of your pot. When I sift mine I'm always surprised at how little is actually big enough to use. I sift mine through a plastic colander that has holes a little bigger than the drainage screen.
Lance

I find that a few pebbles around the screen work well..
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • For the love of plants
  • Thank you received: 1098
Ficus and bonsai. Lots can be said.
Only small things can ever become big
growingbonsai.net: Learn how to grow bonsai

Re: Granule Size of Inorganic Soil? 6 years 5 months ago #1949

Actually...I did put down a layer of crushed, red clay (pot) gravel in the bottom of the dish first. ;)
  • Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Page: