Bonsai forum

chipping bark nuggets

• PenjingLiterati
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2

chipping bark nuggets was created by PenjingLiterati

Posted 2 years 3 months ago #74337
I can purchase locally small pine bark nuggets, that are about 1" to 1.5" in size. I'd like to reduce their size to about ¼" to ½" so they could be used as one of main ingredients in my bonsai soil mix. My problem is that I cannot visualize a method of doing that. I'm talking about 5 cubic feet in volume. After shredding, I'd of course sift them to perhaps two different grades, let say medium and large. Need advice from experienced in this field people on the practical method to achieve that. Thank you in advance for help. Literati from PNW.
by PenjingLiterati

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic chipping bark nuggets

Posted 2 years 3 months ago #74340

I can purchase locally small pine bark nuggets, that are about 1" to 1.5" in size. I'd like to reduce their size to about ¼" to ½" so they could be used as one of main ingredients in my bonsai soil mix. My problem is that I cannot visualize a method of doing that. I'm talking about 5 cubic feet in volume. After shredding, I'd of course sift them to perhaps two different grades, let say medium and large. Need advice from experienced in this field people on the practical method to achieve that. Thank you in advance for help. Literati from PNW.

There is no real effective way of doing this, unless you have access to a shredder for garden waste, which includes the option to shred leaves etc.
by leatherback

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic chipping bark nuggets

Posted 2 years 3 months ago #74347

Here in Alabama we have more pine trees than we know what to do with, and several people I know gather up pine bark and pine needles, grind them up in a food processor, and use them as a soil additive to hold water. Mostly their significant others who are also cooks agree that the food processor is no longer of use processing food, and they have to have a new one.
by Ivan Mann

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic chipping bark nuggets

Posted 2 years 3 months ago #74352

Here in Alabama we have more pine trees than we know what to do with, and several people I know gather up pine bark and pine needles, grind them up in a food processor, and use them as a soil additive to hold water. Mostly their significant others who are also cooks agree that the food processor is no longer of use processing food, and they have to have a new one.

But 5 cubic feet in a food processor? That sounds like 2 days worth of work. Not saying it cannot be done but sounds to me it is better to work at yellow arches for 2 days and buy a bag of smaller bark chips!
by leatherback

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic chipping bark nuggets

Posted 2 years 3 months ago #74362

But 5 cubic feet in a food processor? That sounds like 2 days worth of work. Not saying it cannot be done but sounds to me it is better to work at yellow arches for 2 days and buy a bag of smaller bark chips!

I just know what they say. They may do something first to reduce the size. I would think it would ruin the blades pretty fast.

I have a large plastic container full of dried used coffee grinds. We all have different things we do.
by Ivan Mann