• Page:

TOPIC:

Soil for a repotting 2 years 1 month ago #75163

• Sergipot
  • Sergipot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hi guys,

I hope you're all doing okay.

My Italian Pine is not looking very well, in the last couple weeks lost strength and looks like it's dying.
I would like to repot them and change the soil, but I'm not sure what soil is the best for them?

I've got an Italian Stone Pine and an Eastern Redbud. I was thinking of getting something like the attachment.

I usually give them Bonsai Focus for their growth but not yet.

Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Soil for a repotting 2 years 1 month ago #75164

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Never repot an unhealthy tree. It is a stressful operation and may be the last thing to push them over the edge.

You issue is not soil, it is environment and timing. Trees naturally sprout in spring, yours have sprouted mid winter which is very hard to succed with. And the trees needs to be outside at all times. Done correct they would not sprout in winter. So thet is basically the main issue here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sergipot

Soil for a repotting 2 years 1 month ago #75167

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Trees naturally sprout in spring, yours have sprouted mid winter which is very hard to succeed with. And the trees needs to be outside at all times.

Actually, we don't know this is early sprouting.

Where is the tree located? In a warm enough climate that trees outside are sprouting? Most of my trees have leaves popping out right now. I have no evergreens except azaleas so I can't compare with your pine. This is actually a week or so late. In the past the leaves have popped out in late February in most of the deciduous trees.

Most species of pine need cold dormant times, which you won't get inside (unless the power goes out and the wind blows the roof off).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Soil for a repotting 2 years 1 month ago #75168

• Sergipot
  • Sergipot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hey guys!

The tree didn't sprout during winter. It stopped growing from around September/October but it kept the needles as usual, but the needles have turned from being green, strong and straight to losing strength, colour and start bending.
It's a pine that grew all the time in interior, I know how hard this is and it might have issues because of being in a warm room, so I'll keep this window opened longer.

Thanks for that advice Tropfrog, I won't replant them now and I'll wait a bit longer. When do you think it's the best moment to repot them? Before spring? (Knowing that the bonsai is healthy). And what soil do you think is the best?

Thanks!

Soil for a repotting 2 years 1 month ago #75176

• jojo22
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 47
its weakness is due to too much humidity, the mixture in the photo looks good to me, yes, the rampoté will not be very beneficial for it, afterwards, it's up to you, I'll wait for a good me to see if he recovers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sergipot

• Page: