Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Sweet Plum Repot HELP 1 year 9 months ago #77277

• Hhnaderhh
  • Hhnaderhh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi I bought a sweet plum last year in (june)It was nice and healthy and grew ALOT over the year.This year in May i decided to re-pot it using akadama/clay/soil/perlite mix and there was a big spiral root going downward that I did not want and cut it.I also pruned it back 50-60%.The few leaves if had turned red and over 2 months it slowly is changing to yellow/green but it does not seem like its growing much.How long does a re-pot shock last? I scratched the bark and its still green healthy under.attach pics, I also gave it a very light 0-0-1 organic seaweed fertilizer after 4th week of re-potting it.Does re-pot shock just take long or something else wrong?Drainage is good and i no signs of diseases.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sweet Plum Repot HELP 1 year 9 months ago #77280

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
That tree was far too weak for repotting. They really need to be strong before doing hard root pruning.

If it recovers, when is quite depending on your climate. Up here in Sweden I would not expect anything before they get into the spring push in May. But really, I think the chanse for this tree is very small.

Sweet Plum Repot HELP 1 year 9 months ago #77282

• Hhnaderhh
Hmmmm, how can you tell it was too weak? The roots and everything looked healthy.

It’s being sat outside right now in 20-27c with 3-4 hrs of direct sun on it, I spray it sometimes for some humidity. There’s stil 2 more months of decent weather here in Canada after which I will move it indoor where I have a grow light and temps around 19-24c

Sweet Plum Repot HELP 1 year 9 months ago #77283

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well, the pictures sais it all. A heathy sweet plum is dense and grows like crazy.

If it bounce back in the next months, I would recomend lower temperature in winter. Living room temperatures in winter is really bad for most species.

Sweet Plum Repot HELP 1 year 9 months ago #77286

• Hhnaderhh
Well to be fair, it was all full but that picture was because I brought it from inside over winter so the leaves mostly fell. So winter time your saying lower temp like 12-16c?

I hope
It bounces back

Sweet Plum Repot HELP 1 year 9 months ago #77289

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I keep mine at 5c in winter. I don't think that is the best, just what I have. 10c would proboably be better.

Sweet Plum Repot HELP 1 year 9 months ago #77290

• Hhnaderhh
Dam I thought they were tropical and should not go lower than 12c

Sweet Plum Repot HELP 1 year 9 months ago #77291

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I usually Google species name and distribution in order to understand a species demand on the environment. Bonsai care sheets just isn't enough as it is influenced by an industry that are producing "indoor" trees for a market that crave for "indoor" trees.

I come to understand that chinese sweet plum is plentiful on jeju island in South korea.

The climate there is classified as temperate humid. One cannot underestimate how much water plants from this kind of climate needs in summer. Even more in a shallow pot. And even more on top of that if it recently had its roots pruned.

You can Google Jeju island climate to further understand what it needs and why living room cultivation is not appropriate.

• Page: