Kitty litter for bonsai soil

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132

Replied by Rorror on topic Kitty litter for bonsai soil

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78602

I use big bags of it sold as absorbent.

Ok you already have supply of it. Tought you had no supply of it.
Other can search for "kitty friend PINK LITTER" as that contains the burned clay from danmark. Same as Linda Möler.
by Rorror

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Kitty litter for bonsai soil

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78603

@topfrog
Linda möller is danish clay.
Found a other supplier with the same ingriedient.
Perhaps this is available, in sweden it was?
"kitty friend PINK LITTER"
Or google "Danish clay cat litter" in your language, in hope to find a local product with the same danish clay.

That is the molar clay mined in the island of Fur in denmark by the company Imerys mining A/S. It is sold as kitty litter, absorbent and soil improvement. They have licence for two more years of mining and after that the business will be closed. I use big bags of it sold as absorbent. The kitty litter and the soil improvement products is not awailable in Sweden. But after all, all the products is mined in the same mine, burned in the same way in the same plant. The only difference is what the company that packs it say it is ment to use for on the package. I do not need kitty litter, I need burnt molar clay and don't really care what it says on the bag.

After years of watching akadama turn into clay mush with our climate that goes above and below freezing quite often I am just a little hesitant to get anything that is called clay. Does this break down with repeated freeze/thaw cycles? Does it dry hard to give the roots problems?
by Ivan Mann

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1359

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Kitty litter for bonsai soil

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78604

@topfrog
Linda möller is danish clay.
Found a other supplier with the same ingriedient.
Perhaps this is available, in sweden it was?
"kitty friend PINK LITTER"
Or google "Danish clay cat litter" in your language, in hope to find a local product with the same danish clay.

That is the molar clay mined in the island of Fur in denmark by the company Imerys mining A/S. It is sold as kitty litter, absorbent and soil improvement. They have licence for two more years of mining and after that the business will be closed. I use big bags of it sold as absorbent. The kitty litter and the soil improvement products is not awailable in Sweden. But after all, all the products is mined in the same mine, burned in the same way in the same plant. The only difference is what the company that packs it say it is ment to use for on the package. I do not need kitty litter, I need burnt molar clay and don't really care what it says on the bag.

After years of watching akadama turn into clay mush with our climate that goes above and below freezing quite often I am just a little hesitant to get anything that is called clay. Does this break down with repeated freeze/thaw cycles? Does it dry hard to give the roots problems?

I started to use the danish clay last year. It is in 3 pots at the moment. Since I keep my trees in unheated greenhouse in winter the frost thaw cycles is almost every day for at least two months per year. So far I have seen no problems with it breaking down. It is much harder than akadama. It keeps water very well and has never became dry in my conditions and care.

There are a mine in Germany as well. The soil improvement product from that mine is called seramis. I am sure it is used in products for sanitizing and kitten litter as well, however, I don't know any brand names.

But You are in USA Ivan. Sending soil components from Europe to America is just as bad idea as sending akadama from Japan to Europe. Go look for what components is mined locally. I know Nigel Saunders in Canada using an absorbent called safetysorb. That may be your local version?
by Tropfrog

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Kitty litter for bonsai soil

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78608

There are a mine in Germany as well. The soil improvement product from that mine is called seramis. I am sure it is used in products for sanitizing and kitten litter as well, however, I don't know any brand names.

But You are in USA Ivan. Sending soil components from Europe to America is just as bad idea as sending akadama from Japan to Europe. Go look for what components is mined locally. I know Nigel Saunders in Canada using an absorbent called safetysorb. That may be your local version?

At the moment, not an issue for me. I have months, and I have enough expanded shale to do about half of next year, but I will need more.

I have no more desire to ship clay here from Denmark than I want to ship clay here from Japan. Kitty litter seems to be available here in large bags, so I might try that if I can find the right type, which should be doable.

What does the "molar" mean in "molar clay"? That sounds like a chemistry word.

I started to type "molar clay" into Google and it completed it for me - "molar clay kitty litter" and there were several answers. I will look for some of them in local pet stores. The friendly person at checkout will ask what kind of cats I have, and I will say, "Three maples, a gingko, several elms, and a lot of azaleas." That will get me a look.
by Ivan Mann