• Page:

TOPIC:

Fukien 1 year 5 months ago #78376

• CarolF4
  • CarolF4's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 0
I just purchased a Fukien Bonsai online and it is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday. This will be my first. I chose Fukien as I live in Frankfort, KY and that one
I hear would be one of the best for the area. I also purchased a growth light among other things needed to start out.
I hear that when you purchase one you repot it when you get it. What about fertilizer?
I picked up starter soil mix. Could I get some advice as it is my first one.

Thank you for your time.
I will be doing the online courses here.

CarolF4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fukien 1 year 5 months ago #78384

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
I just checked Frankfort. Most of us do not know by heart where it is. Usda zone 6b? That is way too cold for fukien.

I never repot a newly purshased tree. The trees has been growing in the soil they come in. If the soil is good for comercial production, it is fine for first year at a beginners place. If you do repot directly, if the tree dies you will not have a clue If it was your repotting or your care that killed it.

Fertilizer is for actively growing trees. Only fertilize when you see the tree pushing growth.

Fukien 1 year 5 months ago #78386

• CarolF4
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I keep seeing on the different sites that when they get the new one from an online, etc source they do repot it and prune it immediately.
So, what is with the different thoughts?

Frankfort is the capital city of Kentucky and is a 4 season climate-known to be temperate. Do not have as much snow and ice and real cold as the further up north.
Fukien and Ficus are recommended for this indoor climate.

Fukien 1 year 5 months ago #78387

• CarolF4
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Plus, I have a grow light for it. the Fukien is an indoor species.

Fukien 1 year 5 months ago #78389

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
When it comes to different thoughts on repotting newly purshased trees I guess the difference is beginner vs experienced thoughts. Beginners tends to want to start "bonsaing" right away. Experienced artists allready know that hurrying in bonsai allways make things slower and makes the risks bigger.

To be honest, I have never seen any fukien survive for long. But I have seen 100s of dieing ones. Not sure yet what the key is, but I am dedicated to find out. Maybe it is Frankfort living room climate?

Fukien 1 year 5 months ago #78390

• CarolF4
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I had ordered it from Amazon so, what do you do when you first get it? I am new to this-I only see what I read from people who do this on a regular basis. I got the Fukien as it is a Subtropical species and does well as an indoor plant-mind you it still gets plenty of sun near a window and a growth light and when it gets warmer outside in the spring and summer it will be going outside as well.

Fukien 1 year 5 months ago #78392

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
There is no such thing as an indoor tree. Not one tree in the entire world lives naturally indoors.
Of course there are (sub)tropical species that die in our not tropical climate and need protection to survive our colder periods. But there comes the problem: indoor is read and understood as: in your living rooms, which is completely lethal to most, if not all trees. Our living rooms are waaaay to dry and lack (sun)light. Indoor should be read and understood as: protect from cold(er) temperatures by placing it in a not heated room untill teps outside are high enough again to go back outside.
As Tropfrog says, there are hundreds of people that came here with the same question, and/or the same dead tree ( chinese elms, fukien tea), all socalled indoor trees.
i have never in all the years that i am on this forum seen one person return to show how good their tree is doing indoors.
So, your question is what to do first: nothing, absolutely nothing except water it and place it in a relatively cool room for the winter, or if temps in you part of the world are still suitable for the Fukien ( lets say above 10-15) you can still keep it outside but keep a good eye on frostnights

Fukien 1 year 5 months ago #78393

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The first thing I do when getting a new tree is to let it grow for a full growing season. The tree needs to acclimate to my growing conditions and if it is a new species to me, I need to learn more about the tree. First after one full growing season I start to work on the tree. Trees purshased now will be worked on first time in spring 2024. Same goes with trees purshased in spring 2023.

I too have read that fukiens should be good indoor trees. However, I have never seen any long term healthy indoor fukiens to back that up. As all subtropical trees they tend to suffer or die within a full winter in living room conditions (olives, citrus etc). If you get it through winter it is a very good idea to bring it out as soon as risk of frost is over.

Indeed southern facing window and grow lights will increase your chanse of success.

Despite reading 100s of threads in this forum about dieing carmonas, I did get my first (and proboably last) carmona today. After all it is a challenge to grow something most people fail on. I intend to grow it in the same way I grow all my subtropical species, with a cold but frost free winter.

Fukien 1 year 4 months ago #78543

• CarolF4
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
My tree collection (now) is doing great lots of new growth. Since it is cold out I place them on sunny days on my south window sill. If no sun then I use my grow
light. Comes in handy here. In the summer I will be letting them go outside on sunny days in the morning as long as the temps are warm enough and no high winds.
Besides a grow light I also use a humidifier as I need to use one as well. Too dry here. So far so good.

Carol

Fukien 1 year 4 months ago #78546

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I guess it is authum at you place? Lots of growth in authum is not a sign of good health for a temperate decidious trees as your elm. They should be on the way into dormancy now.

The jade tree can grow all year althou not natural and will not trigger flowering. Even in South africa the plants are dormant in winter.

The fukien, I am not so sure about just as anyone here. Many tropical plants have a dry dormant period, but I don't know about fukiens. Mine is so far in my greenhouse. The heating failed last weeks when we had a small night frost. The temperature was slight below freezing in the greenhouse for one or maybe two hours. The tree does not seem to be affected at all. Not that I recommend it. The heating is solved and outdoors temperature has increased.

Good luck with your trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CarolF4

• Page: