Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

repotting off season? 1 year 4 months ago #78717

• Momma B
  • Momma B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have a magnolia bonsai which was given to me 8 yrs ago. It had been doing great, but recently it looks like it is dying, leaves falling and some branches are dry. I thought it could use repotting but I am reading it is best to repot in the spring.
the first picture is the current state and the flowering one is older probably in summer.
I hope it will revive. I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

repotting off season? 1 year 4 months ago #78719

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
8 years!! What have you done to it during this time? In 8 years the tree should be a lot more developed than this.

I hope you brought the tree indoors for photo only and that it is normally grown outdoors? Magnolias will die indoors.

Your tree serms like it has lost the right lower branch. The other ones serms to be ok still. But I can't help to wonder if you are in the northern or southern hemisphere? In northern hemisphere we are almost in winter and the tree should be leaf less by now.

And to your question. Repotting is best done in the right time of the year. Experienced bonsai artists with a lot of trees are able to repot off season successfull. It poses a bigger risk, but with experience it is still possible.

However there are one rule of thumb that every beginner needs to follow. And that is to never repot an unhealthy tree. You need to get the tree back to vigour before you do any work on the roots.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

repotting off season? 1 year 3 months ago #78727

• Momma B
  • Momma B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
thank you for your reply. I am in the Northern Hemisphere ( Philadelphia suburbs) the weather is quite harsh. It was a gift. I fear that if I put it outside it will die, especially now that it is not doing so well. Do you have any other recommendations? should I fertilize it?

thanks again

repotting off season? 1 year 3 months ago #78728

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Hmm. Have you had this tree 8 years indoors!! That is quite an achievement. I didn't think that was possible.

My recomendation is to keep on doing what you have done the last 8 years. Do excactly that and nothing else. If still alive come spring, move it outdoors, first in full shade and then slowly move it into full sun. Now let it stay there and never ever bring it indoors again. Once recovered you can start to think about repotting. But then it is earliest spring 2024.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Momma B

• Page: