Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Different pot types 1 year 3 months ago #78949

• 威廉 Will
  • 威廉 Will's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
Hi,
I am new to the Bonsai world and I have a question about pots.
I have seen different videos of Bonsais with normal plant pots. What is the difference between using a flat Bonsai pot and a normal plant pot? Also I have seen some Bonsais in containers with holes, like big plastic supermarket baskets. What is the reason behind that?

Best Regards,
Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Different pot types 1 year 3 months ago #78953

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
By and large, pot size and color are your choice.

Bonsai as an art combines several things. We try to make the tree grow robustly in a pot that matches the size of the tree, and there are rules which I have never been able to remember about size, shape, color, etc. We think, usually, that the tree should be in a pot with relatively shallow soil, which usually means 1 inch to 3 inches. Or, 2.5 cm to 3 cm or so.

But, reality means that the soil has to be deep enough to hold water during the summer days. Reality also means that any new tree I get will go into one of the existing dozen or so pots in the garage. I will probably try to match style, etc., but it may not be very close to the ideal.

My first bonsai book, about 1969, said pots should be unglazed brown, and flowering trees might be in dark glazed, probably blue. Today most people have their trees in glazed colored pottery. Times and styles change. Look at a lot of pictures on line, go to the local store, see what they have, and make yourself happy with whatever you pick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 威廉 Will

Different pot types 1 year 3 months ago #78957

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
Big pots is for development. Shallow pots is for refinement. Really shallow pots is for display.

Net pots is just a way to avoid roots circuling the pots.

In bonsai we always balance between horticulture and aestetics.

Different pot types 1 year 3 months ago #78960

• 威廉 Will
  • 威廉 Will's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
So if I have a small seelding and I want to make a bigger bonsai I am gonna put it into a big pot for it to grow faster?
And if I think its ready to make a bonsai out of it I change to a more shallow pot?

Different pot types 1 year 3 months ago #78964

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351

So if I have a small seelding and I want to make a bigger bonsai I am gonna put it into a big pot for it to grow faster?
And if I think its ready to make a bonsai out of it I change to a more shallow pot?

Yes,correct.

• Page: