• Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10

Repotting Junipers was created by sikadelic

Posted 10 years 8 months ago #9607
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.

Hey everybody. A bit of a question here regarding the repotting of our beloved Junipers. I know bare-rooting Junipers is a no-no, however, what is the best plan of attack when one is extremely overgrown? How can you make sure to develop fine feeder roots without getting a good look at the existing root structure? Leaving a large chunk of existing soil also makes it hard to develop smaller roots closer to the base of the tree. I want to make it clear, that I know that is correct, but why and how is the best way to provide my tree the best possible root system without bare-rooting it.

I purchased these 2 monsters yesterday and will have to repot the larger one immediately. There is a large root coming out of the base of the pot that is larger than some of my existing pre-bonsai. I know August isn't the preferred month, however, the article below mentions it can be done now with success. Also, living in South Carolina helps since the temperatures won't dip below 70ºF for at least another 2 months.

Hey everybody. A bit of a question here regarding the repotting of our beloved Junipers. I know bare-rooting Junipers is a no-no, however, what is the best plan of attack when one is extremely overgrown? How can you make sure to develop fine feeder roots without getting a good look at the existing root structure? Leaving a large chunk of existing soil also makes it hard to develop smaller roots closer to the base of the tree. I want to make it clear, that I know that is correct, but why and how is the best way to provide my tree the best possible root system without bare-rooting it.

I purchased these 2 monsters yesterday and will have to repot the larger one immediately. There is a large root coming out of the base of the pot that is larger than some of my existing pre-bonsai. I know August isn't the preferred month, however, the article below mentions it can be done now with success. Also, living in South Carolina helps since the temperatures won't dip below 70ºF for at least another 2 months.

www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html

Also, I uncluded the one below titled "No Idea" because I can't identify the species. Any guesses? I apologize for the poor background but it was the best I could do at the nursery. It has teardrop shaped leaves and small red fruits on the right hand side of the picture if that helps. Thanks

Last Edit:10 years 8 months ago by sikadelic

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by sikadelic. Reason: Formatting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Repotting Junipers

Posted 10 years 8 months ago #9611
Why would you re pot in the middle of summer? there is no reason to do it now. The tree will be fine until the proper time for re potting which is late spring. So there is a root coming out of the pot, you will be cutting it off anyway so there is no need. As for bare rooting if you want to kill the tree do it.
Anyone who says that it is a good idea is talking rubbish.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: manofthetrees

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Repotting Junipers

Posted 10 years 8 months ago #9613
ha i gave you a thank you by accident...anyway i do not think it is urgent to repot . wait until spring to repot. weather has been weird latly and we may get a harsh winter that would kill a weakened tree
yes the roots are coming out of the bottom but this is not a reason to be alarmed it only shows the tree was neglected at the nursery.the first one looks to be light deprived and the other just needs some thinning...
creating a compact root system doesnt happen with one root prune.the roots are just like branches and it takes time to get ramification above and below the soil.in spring reduce the rootball by 1/3 loosen it up but dont wash all of the soil away.this process must be repeated till the root system is small and efficiant
by manofthetrees

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Repotting Junipers

Posted 10 years 8 months ago #9619
Listen to ManOfTrees. With regards tonot bare-rooting juniper.. Well.. Let's say that I have done it several times, and will do it again when I get junipers in crappy soil. Main thing: Do it at the right time of year, make sure the plant is really healthy, and afterwards, keep out of hot sun & strong winds for some 2 weeks. Do not wash the roots, but gently rake the old soil off from the rootball. Then place in a suitable soil mix. But best to get some experience with them first, perhaps ;)
by leatherback

• sikadelic
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by sikadelic on topic Repotting Junipers

Posted 10 years 7 months ago #9635
Well I went ahead and repotted it on Friday over a few cold brews. I didn't have that much invested and thought it would be a good experiment to go ahead and give it a try. I learn from everything I do so no matter what happens, it was a good experience.

I used a calcined clay and crushed lava mix and placed it in the only pot I had large enough to hold it. I took my time loosening the soil and removing a fair bit from the lower 1/3 of the tree. I took my root rake and chopsticks and just loosened the rest below the trunk without removing any. It was pretty dark and looks like mainly potting soil and sand. It is in my garage where it will stay for the next couple of weeks before moving to the front porch to get morning sun. I will keep you guys updated on its progress. Thanks for all the sound advice!

The link is below. For some reason when I tried to add it here it was uploading sideways.

i.imgur.com/deOhbEv.jpeg
by sikadelic

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Repotting Junipers

Posted 10 years 7 months ago #9640
Keep in mind that plants need light to grow (And form roots)
by leatherback

• sikadelic
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 10 years 7 months ago #9641
Absolutely. I am just letting it recover a bit before I put it back out with the rest of my trees.
by sikadelic

• Da Hoss
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Da Hoss on topic Repotting Junipers

Posted 10 years 7 months ago #9642
I believe that your "No Idea" is one like I have, a China Doll or radermachera sinica. Beautiful!
by Da Hoss

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Repotting Junipers

Posted 10 years 7 months ago #9644
that looks promising...I would give it the morning sun right away and mist the foliage 3 to 5 times a day this helps maintain moisture while the roots are recovering.do this until you see signs of new growth.
by manofthetrees

• sikadelic
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 10 years 7 months ago #9646
Good idea. I had not been misting it and will start that regime today.
by sikadelic