• Page:

TOPIC:

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10871

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185
I will probably do the repotting this week, but I got a question though... Can Akadama be mixed with other kind of soils? I mean... Can I build a mix of soil using Akadama, peat and another inorganic ingredient, such as lava? Or once I choose Akadama I need to do it completly with it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10880

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh... One more question: what's the best way to remove the soil from a plant's roots without harming too many of them if the soil looks highly attached to them? I mean... the soil isn't in good condition and I'm looking for a way of repotting the tree without disturbing it too much. Thanks...

Alain

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10882

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Yes you can mix Akadama with other material, I use composted bark or pumice as well, depending on the tree. I would not add any peat though. You could use sphagnum moss.
You should not damage the roots by removing soil. The roots are tough and unless you are very rough will be fine. But I would only take them out of the pot and part them without touching the roots at this time of year. That is unless you paid very little for them and you can afford to lose them. I think all I would do would be to take them out part the two and put straight into another pot, preferably bigger so that root disturbance is as little as possible. Then I would put them in a shady place and keep them well watered for two or three weeks. You know what you are doing, so you should be fine.
Geoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10884

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Geoff, that is helpful. I have to confess that Akadama seems like a mistery to me.

As for the repotting I´ll follow your advice and won´t disrupt the roots of my Arces too much, I´ll just separate them. Oh, and even if I paid a reasonable price for them I´m still reluctant to lose them. You´ll see, it is a pleasure every time I stand on my balcony and look at them.

Again Geoff... Thank you

• Page: