Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Beginner Questions 9 years 9 months ago #11434

• lcaswell
  • lcaswell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Help! I just got a new Bonsai tree, starter kit which had me plant seeds, and im confused about what it told me. It told me to keep it in a bag and I was wondering do I have to keep it in a bag forever? Also it said Mist it everyday!? What does that mean. Last but not least, It said that in about 8 weeks I will have several starter plants to chose from? What does that mean that in about 8 weeks I will pick one and then the whole process begins with the wiring and such? Or do I not pull one out and that whole thing is my Bonsai? Thanks for the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by lcaswell.

Beginner Questions 9 years 9 months ago #11437

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
HI,

:S I am sorry I have to be the one to tell you.. You have fallen for the commercial "bonsai seed kit" traps. There is no such thing as bonsai seed (Bonsai are grown from normal tree species, using the natural ability of plants to reduce leaves & stem sizes when circumstances demant such reduction).

The 8 weeks in a bag are for germination of the seeds. After they start to germinate you can put them up. What you then have, is a tree seedling, with about 15 years of patience you will get toawrds a bonsai..

Not to put you off.. Growing bonsai from seed is very rewarding, but requires a lot of patience. Meanwhile, consider growing bonsai from other sources too, just to keep you busy as your seedling grows into juvenile, adolescence and mature stages of live ;D
The following user(s) said Thank You: lcaswell

Beginner Questions 9 years 9 months ago #11439

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
Suggest you spend some time looking in the clearance part of your local nursery/garden centre, they often have smallish trees & shrubs for very little money, I picked up a box leaf lonicera (honeysuckle) for £3 the other day which has a nicely developed trunk & roots, just needs refining over the next few years, have also found berberis and a few junipers for similar cost. The seeds will probably germinate, but as Leatherback says it's a long growing process before you can actually start to develop the tree into anything worthwhile - I've done this too and buying grown stock is far preferable

Dave

Beginner Questions 9 years 9 months ago #11440

• lcaswell
Thanks!!!!!! That helped a lot!! I figured I am going to buy a Bonsai at a store that will be a lot better! Can't wait to see it grow! :cheer:

Beginner Questions 9 years 9 months ago #11441

• lcaswell
Thanks! :) So cool you are from England. At first I had no idea what you were talking about with the cost thingy but then I realized you are from England..SOOOO COOL! Thanks again for the help. :)

Beginner Questions 9 years 9 months ago #11443

• Slowhand
  • Thanks received: 6
do your self a favor and slow down and figure out what you want.most are for out door growing and any type of tree will take years to grow into a fair size tree to work on.
I see your only 17 so you have a long time to see it develop into a nice tree.
also follow the advice ironhores gave you and look at your local nursery for a fair size trunk on the tree.
just my 2 cents hope this helps.

Dave.

Last edit: Post by Slowhand. Reason: spelling
  • Page: