Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

vitacat clumping cat litter 9 years 5 months ago #13081

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
You should see my garden. Weeds are only plants growing where humans don't want them. They have and always have had many uses. Mant invertibrates rely on so called weeds for food plants. I have dandelions, nettles docks and many other plants growing in my garden along with my trees and bonsai.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

vitacat clumping cat litter 9 years 5 months ago #13082

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

You need the non-clumping type. The clumping type retains water, forms clumps, and falls apart. You want the well-draining, non-clumping type.

I use fired, danish clay pellets. I have bought three bags, one of them I put in my plastic soil container (that I use when I'm repotting), to rinse out the dust (which probably wasn't really necessary).

I know this thread is about cat litter but while I was reading it it came up to my mind... What about lava rock? This material won´t clump, it hardly retains any water beyond its porous surface, it won´t fall apart since it is really hard and will provide the adequate aeration to the roots. And if on top of that you add that it is not expensive either, I think it would be a valid candidate to take into account while preparing our soil mixes...

Alain

vitacat clumping cat litter 9 years 5 months ago #13084

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I know this thread is about cat litter but while I was reading it it came up to my mind... What about lava rock?

www.google.nl/search?client=opera&q=bons...l=suggest&gws_rd=ssl

:P
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983

Last edit: Post by Auk.

vitacat clumping cat litter 9 years 5 months ago #13085

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Weeds are only plants growing where humans don't want them.

That is pretty much the definition I use for the dutch word for weeds (Onkruid): PLants that grow in a spot where I do not want them ;D

Alain: I use lava too. Note that a good substrate is water retensive, yet does not get waterlogged as a whole; So the grains should imho keep as much water as possible. I find that a bit of a challenge with lava-like substances. (see images: www.google.nl/search?q=rigidur+Ausgleichsschüttung)

vitacat clumping cat litter 9 years 5 months ago #13087

• bob
  • bob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Sorry for annoying you leatherback.

but if it helps, the mixture that works best for me is a mixture of lava rock and akadama 5050.

• Page: