• Page:

TOPIC: Eastern Rud Bud(Cercis canadensis)

Eastern Rud Bud(Cercis canadensis) 7 years 1 month ago #723

Here is the Eastern Red bud that came from "mardens", the surplus/salvage store here...for $4.00 :)
I'm playing with it right now. Clipping leaves, cutting branches...and really just staring at it. I'm waiting until it flowers in the spring to see if it's even worth the effort. I got it in late spring and had to re-pot it. it was kind of risky, but it survived. Actually the tree loved it. It has gone kind of crazy.
here's a few pictures of it.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Pinkham
  • Pinkham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 61

Re: Eastern Rud Bud(Cercis canadensis) 7 years 1 month ago #732

Ahhhhh...this is the one I was asking about in your *gang* photo you posted in the 'Help Me' section. This has a wonderful nebari! And what interesting and delicate looking leaves...almost vine like yet, not. I really like this one. You're doing a great job, Lance. Keep up the good work. I look forward to following the Red Bud's progression! :cheer:

Leslie
  • Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 6

Re: Eastern Rud Bud(Cercis canadensis) 7 years 4 weeks ago #803

I eagerly await, too. I have one of these that just sprouted up in my backyard of its own accord. I haven't moved it or anything because I want the trunk to thicken, but I have been watering it along with my potted bonsai out back because of the heat. Keep us posted; I'll probably learn something! And that's why I'm on here in the first place! :woohoo:
The branches on mine are very vine-like, but you'll probably have to defoliate at some point because the leaves get so big. Good luck!
  • BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Re: Eastern Rud Bud(Cercis canadensis) 7 years 3 weeks ago #877

One thing you should do to your tree is take the unwanted branches off as soon as you see them . The branches grow thick very fast and leave scars when you take them off. They do come off easily though.
  • Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Re: Eastern Rud Bud(Cercis canadensis) 7 years 3 weeks ago #884

Hm.. if you are getting very fast growth, and you are not happy about that, you might want to consider reducing the rootmass a little. That will slow the little tree right down. Maybe not the ideal time of year though :|

As for removing the branches you do not want: Yes and no :D

In order to create taper on your trunk, you can leave a few branches to grow out. But indeed. You will have to live with scar tissue (Which is not always a bad thing; It depends a little how you strategize trunk growth. If you take a seedling and grow it into a bonsai over a 15-20 year period, you will never have the cut-of trunk effect, and the tree will be more pleasing in 20 years. However, if you do build your bonsai from old trees by cutting the tops out, you already have a scarred tree. So you might consider the possibility of creating more scars :D

Choices, choices
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1494

Re: Eastern Rud Bud(Cercis canadensis) 7 years 3 weeks ago #900

I can't do anything to this tree until spring. I do plan on re-potting it and reducing the roots. other than that the only thing I can do is keep pinching buds while they are small, and hope that it buds where I want it. That's pretty much the plan for this tree. I have to address the nasty scar on the trees "back" sometime too.ugh.
  • Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Page:
Cron Job Starts