• Page:

TOPIC:

Tying Holes 9 years 4 days ago #14861

• BonsaiMackem
  • BonsaiMackem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 1
I come across lots of lovely pots in garden centers of different colours and shapes and sizes. Amazon though is the best place. But the pots in the larger garden centers all have one thing in common. They don't have any tying holes. Clearly you feed the tying wires through the drainage holes but how would the wires then be twisted round each other?

I tried to create a pic on MS Paint but have clearly failed abysmally. But would imagine the end of one strand of wire marked A would be twisted over where the other end of the wire marked B emerges, and the end of the wire marked B would be twisted round where the end of the wire marked A emerges from the pot.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by BonsaiMackem.

Tying Holes 9 years 4 days ago #14862

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
The way to do it is to use a thick piece of wire on the bottom of the pot over the mesh the wire going over the thick piece through the hole. Hope that makes sense. The better way is to buy pots with proper holes in other words not cheap Chinese pots that are probably not frost hardy.

Tying Holes 9 years 4 days ago #14864

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Yup... and of course we can find images of that:

Source: bonsaitonight.com/2012/02/24/how-to-wire-a-bonsai-pot/

Personally I wouldn't buy garden center pots for bonsai. For my seedlings and wanna-be pre-bonsai I use plastic pots or training pots (bought quite a few last year, for a low price, at an end-of-year sale).

Garden center plant pots usually don't look good with bonsai, and as Geoff says, they may not be frost hardy.

Tying Holes 9 years 4 days ago #14865

• BonsaiMackem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

The way to do it is to use a thick piece of wire on the bottom of the pot over the mesh the wire going over the thick piece through the hole. Hope that makes sense.

I think so. :)

So, the thick wire will be underneath the pot and going through the mesh and another piece of wire going through the mesh from above is how I understand it.

The better way is to buy pots with proper holes in other words not cheap Chinese pots that are probably not frost hardy.

Agreed. ;)

Tying Holes 9 years 4 days ago #14866

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

So, the thick wire will be underneath the pot and going through the mesh and another piece of wire going through the mesh from above is how I understand it.

I think there are a few ways to do it. Doesn't really matter, as long as it works :)

An alternative to the example:
To fix the mesh we usually make a 'pair of glasses' out of wire:

The loops go on the outside, and you stick the ends through the mesh.
You can take wire that's a bit thicker than what you'd need to fix the mesh, and then use another wire and thread it through the mesh on both sides, to fix the tree.

Tying Holes 9 years 4 days ago #14868

• BonsaiMackem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Yup... and of course we can find images of that:

Source: bonsaitonight.com/2012/02/24/how-to-wire-a-bonsai-pot/

Personally I wouldn't buy garden center pots for bonsai. For my seedlings and wanna-be pre-bonsai I use plastic pots or training pots (bought quite a few last year, for a low price, at an end-of-year sale).

Garden center plant pots usually don't look good with bonsai, and as Geoff says, they may not be frost hardy.

I noticed those on Google Images. I find it incredibly fascinating how someone has managed to work his or her way around the problem of no tying holes. But unless I have been doing it wrongly finding info on how to managing to secure tying holes in a two-drainage hole pot has been elusive. I was just wondering how others on the forum manage it. Plenty of info on one-drainage hole pots like above. But just not that much on a pot with two drainage holes. I would always rely on the internet more anyway. OK, you can't view the pot from all angles and have to trust that the pots have 4 tying hole points, but the suppliers the centers have are even less reliable. Their products are inferior in quality.

Tying Holes 9 years 4 days ago #14869

• BonsaiMackem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I think there are a few ways to do it. Doesn't really matter, as long as it works :)

An alternative to the example:
To fix the mesh we usually make a 'pair of glasses' out of wire:

The loops go on the outside, and you stick the ends through the mesh.
You can take wire that's a bit thicker than what you'd need to fix the mesh, and then use another wire and thread it through the mesh on both sides, to fix the tree.

I think there is some confusion. The problem is the wire which ties the tree down. Not so much the wire that secures down the mesh.

Tying Holes 9 years 4 days ago #14871

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I think there is some confusion. The problem is the wire which ties the tree down. Not so much the wire that secures down the mesh.

I think I'm not confused :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BonsaiMackem

Tying Holes 9 years 4 days ago #14872

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here's another method:

Source: www.kaizenbonsai.com/bonsai-tree-care-in...-to-repotting-bonsai
The following user(s) said Thank You: BonsaiMackem

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Tying Holes 9 years 3 days ago #14905

• Craig
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 59
Thanks Auk, I haven't seen that method before but I like it. Definately could use 2 of those for 2 hole pots, it'd work a treat.

• Page: