Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting Gingko Trees 9 years 3 hours ago #15446

• Beechnut
  • Beechnut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello All. Im new on this forum my first post! Also brand new to Bonsai keeping. I bought a group of Gingko trees for my partner for his 60 birthday present. Unfortunately he has no interest in its care, but has left it to me! I have become more and more interested in this art form. My first interest is mainly Cacti.
At the moment its quite happy and does not need repotting just yet. Maybe next spring and im nervous to do this as a complete novice. Do the tolerate much root trimming and when would be the best time to do this? Would be very grateful for any advice please :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting Gingko Trees 8 years 11 months ago #15448

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
I have no experience specifically with ginkos but i can give you a link for good overview.

www.bonsai4me.co.uk/SpeciesGuide/Gingko.html

P.s welcome ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beechnut

Last edit: Post by bob.

Repotting Gingko Trees 8 years 11 months ago #15453

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 854
Ginko are re potted in the spring as are most deciduous species. You could remove from the pot to check the roots, without disturbing them. Water and fertilise through the spring and summer months. I would protect from severe frost, depending on the country you are in you may not need to. I don't think they make good groups, but they are sold that way sometimes. Depending on the size of the trees will dictate how much pruning you do. Water when needed not to a schedule, that is when the soil is almost dry, then soak well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beechnut

Repotting Gingko Trees 8 years 11 months ago #15454

• Beechnut
Many thanks for the reply and link. A good site for beginners and experienced growers alike.

Repotting Gingko Trees 8 years 11 months ago #15455

• Beechnut
Thankyou for your advice. I did accidentally leave it unprotected in the frost but the leaf buds had not yet opened i got away with it this time. :)

Repotting Gingko Trees 8 years 11 months ago #15461

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Thankyou for your advice. I did accidentally leave it unprotected in the frost but the leaf buds had not yet opened i got away with it this time. :)

Mine have been outside unprotected. One of 'm I only got a few months ago, this winter wasn't too bad. The other one I have for over 15 years and we have had some real winters in that period including one that had temperatures of -20 C.

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: