Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

WHAT TO USE 8 years 5 months ago #17583

• tomcardno1
  • tomcardno1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
WHAT CAN YOU USE INSTEAD OF akadama?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WHAT TO USE 8 years 5 months ago #17586

• norden
There is no replacemet for Akadama?

Some uses turface i have read. I dont have both of them in my country.
Is there anything els i can use?

Can i make soil whitout akadama or turface?

WHAT TO USE 8 years 5 months ago #17591

• doddsy
  • Thanks received: 16
Hay Tom, i'm in Christchurch, this is the combo i use. Go to the warehouse and get the Just brand patio mix potting soil. Go to M10 for Medium grade pumice and spagnum moss. Put 9 litres of patio mix in a bucket, 1 litre of pumice, and chuck in a large handfull of spagnum moss chopped up, and mix it up. This works well for me, as it drains well even in our crappy winters. Oh and put a layer of pumice on the bottom of the pot before you repot. Hope this helps. Cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: norden, tomcardno1

WHAT TO USE 8 years 5 months ago #17596

• norden
Thank you.
But i need more advice. What can i use to replace Akadama?

I found vermiculite,perlite,pine bark,compost,granite,baked clay granules,aquaruim gravel.

Can i mix somethig from these items? What would be the %`?

There is no akadama or turface in shops.

Thank you B)

WHAT TO USE 8 years 5 months ago #17597

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Thank you.
But i need more advice.

I don't think so. All the advice you need has been given.

Apart from that, I don't think you've given us information about what you're growing. For seedlings from a deciduous tree, the soil requirements will be different from those for an established, old pine.

Won't hurt to do some research yourself. There's loads of information to be found.

What can i use to replace Akadama?

There is no replacement for Akadama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: norden

Last edit: Post by Auk.

WHAT TO USE 8 years 5 months ago #17598

• norden
My tree is apple tree and other is ficus.

WHAT TO USE 8 years 5 months ago #17751

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Really, soil is made much harder than neeeds be. All you need is a soil that drains very fast (If you have a normal nursery pot of say 2 liters filled with the substrate, you should be able to take a 5 liter watering can and drain it through the soil in a matter of 1-3 minutes. You pour water in, and within seconds it starts running through the bottom. Everything is is jst sideshow. The more organic you have in there, the longer it stays moist, typically. Depending on how hot it gets, and how often you can (and want to) water the plants will determine the substrate; naturally, depending nthe species.

All the different components people put in.. I do not. I have a hand full of baked kitty litter, because it really soaks water up, and provides water for a long time after watering, usefull if you are away from home a lot. Then I use a dry broken baked clay used in filling underfloor spaces as main component. Light weight, and drief quickly. And I have crushed bark. Just because I feel that micro-organisms and fungus probably do better on them and I use solid organic fertilizer a lot, so need constant surroundings for micro organisms. but that is just my persoal preference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomcardno1

WHAT TO USE 8 years 5 months ago #17757

• tomcardno1
  • tomcardno1's Avatar Topic Author

Really, soil is made much harder than neeeds be. All you need is a soil that drains very fast (If you have a normal nursery pot of say 2 liters filled with the substrate, you should be able to take a 5 liter watering can and drain it through the soil in a matter of 1-3 minutes. You pour water in, and within seconds it starts running through the bottom. Everything is is jst sideshow. The more organic you have in there, the longer it stays moist, typically. Depending on how hot it gets, and how often you can (and want to) water the plants will determine the substrate; naturally, depending nthe species.

All the different components people put in.. I do not. I have a hand full of baked kitty litter, because it really soaks water up, and provides water for a long time after watering, usefull if you are away from home a lot. Then I use a dry broken baked clay used in filling underfloor spaces as main component. Light weight, and drief quickly. And I have crushed bark. Just because I feel that micro-organisms and fungus probably do better on them and I use solid organic fertilizer a lot, so need constant surroundings for micro organisms. but that is just my persoal preference.

thanks for the detailed response LB, I've since been to see our bonsai guru in NZ and gotten a recommendation for the conditions here getting four seasons in 1 day haha :p

WHAT TO USE 8 years 5 months ago #17759

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
sounds like you are my neighbour :). Four seasons in a day is our expression/description of the weather too.

• Page: