Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting to a bigger pot 8 years 5 months ago #17648

• endlesstrax
  • endlesstrax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all,

I'm still fairly new to Bonsai, so I have a basic question.

My wife bought me my first tree (Green Mound Juniper) in July. I was planning on repotting it in the spring, as it's already 'lifting' itself out of the pot due to root growth. I don't wish to trim the roots though, as I would like the tree to continue to grow. It's currently around 9" tall.

So my question is: Should I repot to a larger Bonsai pot, or to a large plastic container first? I have read potting to a large container will also help thicken the trunk too. But will this also occur in a larger Bonsai pot?

My wife doesn't know how old the tree is, but I estimate around 4-5 yrs old, and it's currently in a 6" pot.

Thank you for your help.

Ricky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting to a bigger pot 8 years 5 months ago #17657

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
If it is only about 4-5 years old then it certainly would benefit from some more years growth in a larger pot - you can do this at any time of the year. It's your choice as to what type of pot to use, I sometimes use oversized plastic bonsai training pots which are available quite cheaply online. Any chance of a photo?

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: endlesstrax

Repotting to a bigger pot 8 years 5 months ago #17658

• endlesstrax
  • endlesstrax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you for the reply. I have recently (well a month ago) pruned the tree a fair bit (tried to take no more than 30%), and took of the wiring it had had on. So I didn't want to repot straight the way in fear of doing too much at once.

This is the most recent picture, post pruning. Still needs 'work', but I guess that's true of all Bonsai?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by endlesstrax.
  • Page: