Bonsai forum

Larger pot i

• Mikeb
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Larger pot i was created by Mikeb

Posted 8 years 3 months ago #18164
I am new to the forum and have been enjoying the information/knowledge that I have been able to read. I was wondering if you consider putting a tree in a larger pot the same as "repotting" the plant?
I realize that now is not the time to do any of this since I've already wintered them. I'm only asking for the sake of some nursery stock I've purchased on the cheap. I assume that if I only give the plants a little more room with better draining soil, around the edges, it's not the same as disturbing the roots...just say adding room to grow for the roots. I have no plans for trimming anything, just trying to establish good growth up above and down below. Any straightforward response would be appreciated. Thanks
by Mikeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Larger pot i

Posted 8 years 3 months ago #18166

Mikeb wrote: I am new to the forum and have been enjoying the information/knowledge that I have been able to read. I was wondering if you consider putting a tree in a larger pot the same as "repotting" the plant?

It's the same word I guess, but it's not the same - as you suspected. Repotting a bonsai tree usually comes with root work, planting a tree in a larger pot without disturbing is not the same - as you already correctly guessed - and less risky.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikeb

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

Replied by BonsaiLearner on topic Larger pot i

Posted 8 years 3 months ago #18171
I believe that the term is 'slip potting' and that it is a widely used technique, more frequently used with cheaper trees that haven't been properly cared for, and so have overcrowded pots.
by BonsaiLearner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, Mikeb