TOPIC:

Repotting aftercare 8 years 3 months ago #18212

• brkirkland22
  • brkirkland22's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128
Hello everyone!
It's winter, sort of, which means I'm preparing for spring. Sifting soil mixtures, cleaning pots, sharpening tools, catching up on info, etc. In an effort to better care for my trees, I'd like to pose a question: What's the consensus on repotting aftercare?

The advice that's always been given to me has been to keep the tree in the shade/partial shade for a few weeks while it heals. Is this still acceptable/preferred? Will it adversely affect a sun-loving tree, like a pine? Or do you just put the tree out on the bench with the rest of them?

I'm learning more & more from this forum that the information I've been receiving over the last several years from friends, club members & books is becoming outdated. It's not that the old methods don't work, but it is that they are now being done better. It's been fantastic learning how/why/what others are doing, so thanks for all the advice from everyone, & great job for the excellent 15-year anniversary videos!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting aftercare 8 years 3 months ago #18213

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
What your friends and club members say is based on experience. That does not make it outdated or wrong. Aftercare is simple. Keep protected from frost. Not necessarily in shade, unless you are getting strong sun which is not likely. out of wind yes. After re potting water thoroughly. Then water again when nearly dry. That is why frost protection is needed. Do not add any fertiliser for about 4 weeks, or until you can see new growth.
My trees go back to where I normally keep them unless there is a threat of frost, and if there was then I might delay the re potting for a few days or weeks. Deciduous trees can be re potted from early February to late March dependin on the weather conditions. Pines I do later from late March to late April, or in September.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: