basic beginner stuff

• simplysaid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54

basic beginner stuff was created by simplysaid

Posted 8 years 3 months ago #18436
So.. I'm starting my journey into Bonsai after many years of admiring the Japanese culture and the art. I realize it takes a multitude of things to enjoy the fruits of this art. My wife gave me a 3yr old juniper for Christmas. So I scheduled my first beginner class in a month.
My profile picture is of a tree I've had for 11yrs. I've attached the picture as well.
I believe that there are 2 types of ficus growing in this pot. so my questions are.
- can they be separated?
- can this tree grown into a successful bonsai?
- are there basic soil formula's for different types of trees?
I'm happy to answer any questions.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by simplysaid

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic basic beginner stuff

Posted 8 years 3 months ago #18437
not sure why you think they are different types. There plants canprobably be separated, but realize the roots will partially have merged. Taking this apart is best done in early summer, after the plant has spent some months outside, and is growing strong.

Can they be grown into bonsai? In general yes. These will first have to grow into plants iwth a decent trunksize.

There are as many soil recipes as bonsai growers. Browse the forum or google bonsai substrate.
by leatherback

• simplysaid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by simplysaid on topic basic beginner stuff

Posted 8 years 3 months ago #18438
Thank you leatherback. I really appreciate the feed back.
The main reason I think they are two different types is because of the size of the leaves and how they grow on the branch. I've repotted about 3 times and have noticed that the roots are one big ball of fun. Maybe I will try and do a clipping of one a regrow it. I'll have more decisions once I take my beginner class.
I wasn't familiar with the word substrate. Thanks again.
by simplysaid

• 4acre
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by 4acre on topic basic beginner stuff

Posted 7 years 4 months ago #28178
Hi simplysaid, you private messaged me but for some reason I cannot send you one back for another 27 days so I thought this might be the next best way to contact you. Thank you for your input and I would love to discuss further about all things Bonsai. I noticed you live in New Jersey which isn't too far from me so If you would like you can email me at kmforeacre@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you,
Kevin
by 4acre

• simplysaid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by simplysaid on topic basic beginner stuff

Posted 7 years 4 months ago #28282

4acre wrote: Hi simplysaid, you private messaged me but for some reason I cannot send you one back for another 27 days so I thought this might be the next best way to contact you. Thank you for your input and I would love to discuss further about all things Bonsai. I noticed you live in New Jersey which isn't too far from me so If you would like you can email me at kmforeacre@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you,
Kevin

Kevin... sorry I haven't been on here because of the holiday. I'll send you an email.
by simplysaid