Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Potting soil for bonsai? 8 years 2 months ago #18618

• JustinChino
  • JustinChino's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Can you use potting soil for bonsai? I know there is a proportion of different components and there are even premixed soils for bonsai but I ask because I was looking for some supplies for my bonsai at a Home Depot and the lady said you could use potting soil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Potting soil for bonsai? 8 years 2 months ago #18619

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
If you are serious about bonsai, then potting soil is not suitable. You need a substrate that drains well, and does not stay wet too long, as well as allows a lot of gas-exchange.

Potting soil for bonsai? 8 years 2 months ago #18624

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
If you are serious about bonsai.... then you don't buy plants at Home Depot - and you most certainly don't ask for advice at Home Depot. They have know knowledge about bonsai.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Potting soil for bonsai? 8 years 2 months ago #18628

• JustinChino
  • JustinChino's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
That is what I thought, especially since they have very poor made "bonsai". Besides, I wasn't going there for anything serious, just looking for some pots if they had any. The area I'm currently in does not have many nurseries or garden centers with bonsai materials hence why I resorted to home depot.

Thanks for the input!

Potting soil for bonsai? 8 years 2 weeks ago #19839

• Harold1
  • Thanks received: 1
Well first of all if you wish to get into bonsai then I strongly suggest joining a club and if none are available in your area then get some basic beginners books and study as much as possible and read answers and questions on this form and there are indeed many other places on the internet for good sound information. Pots for bonsai will not be found at home depot. There are literally hundreds of places on line to purchase bonsai pots. As for soil when you do get serious then you need to purchase pumice red or black lava rock and some Akadama and mix together in a bucket after you have screened it to size. You could of course find these mixes already made up but will find them rather expensive so it is best to make up you own mix.

• Page: