Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Diatomaceous Earth 8 years 3 weeks ago #19971

• TeamCH
  • TeamCH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
SO, I am doing some more research into the inorganic soil. The articles about cat litter from the EU are helpful in regards to the specific mineral. Diatomaceous earth (DE) soil is used in the cat litter that is often referenced. In the states one product from NAPA auto is a stay dry comprised of strait DE and is unknown if it still manufactured. One company, so far, that processes and has products that use this without additives is EP minerals LLC. They have two products, one for baseball called playball another is for golf courses call AXIS DE. Both use the course and fine granules. Turface which is mentioned often in Bonsai forums is a silicate base (look at the MSDS sheet). SO far I haven't discovered first hand if any American (cat) litter companies use DE however, tractor Supply Co has a litter comprised of 100% natural fired clay. I have not gotten my hand on this just yet. It seems possible that this DE could be a very close substitute to Japanese Akadama.

Feed back would be awesome from the community.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Diatomaceous Earth 8 years 3 weeks ago #19972

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

tractor Supply Co has a litter comprised of 100% natural fired clay. I have not gotten my hand on this just yet. It seems possible that this DE could be a very close substitute to Japanese Akadama.

Akadama isn't clay and it isn't fired, so I wouldn't say this DE comes close to it.

Diatomaceous Earth 8 years 3 weeks ago #19973

• TeamCH
  • TeamCH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Just thinking outside the box but....

www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/bonsai-care/bonsai-soil

The paragraph from this website says Akadama is a baked (fired) clay. Just saying.

Diatomaceous Earth 8 years 3 weeks ago #19974

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Just thinking outside the box but....

www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/bonsai-care/bonsai-soil

The paragraph from this website says Akadama is a baked (fired) clay. Just saying.

I did not write that, and it is not correct. It is dried, not baked. Just saying...

Diatomaceous Earth 8 years 3 weeks ago #19975

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128
Yeah, DE & Akadama are different fellows.

I am using DE in conjunction with my normal mixture for the first time this year. So far no issues - good water retention, good color when wet, definite color change when dry. I had to sift (as you should) to get out the small particles & dust, but more than a 5-gallon bucket of usable material with each bag.

I researched diatomaceous earth this winter on what was available in the states - the NAPA #8822 was the only one that was 100% DE. I was able to pick up two bags locally this January, so it's should still be in production. A thread within this forum lead to a link on Walter Pall's forum/blog which took me further into a wormhole that showed a Walmart brand of litter also contained DE, but warned the freeze-thaw test showed poor quality (freeze-thaw is exactly that - to see if it holds up to conditions before disintegrating) - whew! Keep looking into it. A few threads on this & other forums (including gardening ones - some tomato growers are using it, too) have some good info on their experiences with DE.

Diatomaceous Earth 8 years 3 weeks ago #19976

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
it really does not matter all that much. As long as it is water retentive, drains well and does not fall apart too quickly, you can use it. The better also temporarely binds nutrients, but this is also dependent on how you water...

Diatomaceous Earth 8 years 3 weeks ago #19980

• Cronic
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 33
i've seen some akadama advertised as being fired/baked for so called longer durability
i'm not sure about this and haven't tested this, nor am i planning to..
i always use the same brands and i'm happy with them..

what's good and what not.. it's personal and region/weather dependant..

Diatomaceous Earth 8 years 3 weeks ago #19982

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

i've seen some akadama advertised as being fired/baked for so called longer durability
i'm not sure about this

www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/repotting-and...968-akadama?start=10

• Page: