• Page:

TOPIC: Repotting problem

Repotting problem 1 year 1 month ago #28560

Hello. Have you removed the rock?
I've been trying to remove one, it seems impossible :lol: I'm afraid to break my only bonsai pot.
  • Irka-Plyushka
  • Thank you received: 2
Recently I've realised that the reason I have many plants is that I can't have a cat.

Repotting problem 1 year 1 month ago #28563

i som epots, the large deco roch is part of the pot. Try removing it when you remove the plant. Then yuou can see how it is fixed in the pot.
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • For the love of plants
  • Thank you received: 1098
Ficus and bonsai. Lots can be said.
Only small things can ever become big
growingbonsai.net: Learn how to grow bonsai

Repotting problem 1 year 1 month ago #28594

Haha funny story. I got a hammer and pounded it out . It slid right out after however I the pot was weak in the places the rock had previously been. This then lead to it gradually breaking in half. So I don't think I can give you any advice on that ! :cheer:
  • PandarenBonsai
  • PandarenBonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Repotting problem 1 year 4 weeks ago #28936

Of course I've tried to remove it without any plants in there. Tried to use a file tool, a chisel and a hammer, before and after soaking for a long time. I'm afraid to break the pot, so here is my result. Bus door helped me to kick away one part. :whistle: At least it got smaller.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Irka-Plyushka
Recently I've realised that the reason I have many plants is that I can't have a cat.

Repotting problem 1 year 4 weeks ago #28941

sounds crazy... but I wonder what would happen if you heated the whole thing up? Would the pot expand enough to loosen the rock? Or maybe soak it in ice water? maybe that would make the bowl contract?
  • simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
"open your eyes and ears, before you open your mouth", my grandfather

Repotting problem 1 year 4 weeks ago #28949

I'm wondering - why go through all that trouble? Pots like these can be purchased second hand for a low amount (lots of ex-bonsai growers sell their pots, that have become useless).
  • Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 971

Repotting problem 1 year 4 weeks ago #28951

good point. Maybe there's sentimental value to it. I know that I have a pot that I bought from the first time I tried Bonsai and that was 20 years ago. It broke and I glued it. I prob won't get rid of it unless my son decides to play baseball with it. But if it got a rock stuck in it. I'd prob sculpt a fake tree and put it in it for fun.
  • simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
"open your eyes and ears, before you open your mouth", my grandfather

Repotting problem 1 year 4 weeks ago #28957

You're right, it's a second-hand pot, it cost only 3 or 4 USD, but in my city all "mallsais" (thank you, Auk, now I know this wonderful word) are sold in rectangular blue pots, so the second-hand market is full of these, and that beige oval turned up to be rare :))
  • Irka-Plyushka
  • Page: