Moving a Hawthorn

• RayC
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 4

Moving a Hawthorn was created by RayC

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21499
Hello been given permission to dog up a Hawthorn otherwise they are going to rip it out and slab over where it currently is. My question is, after reading "you must dig a foot of rootball per inch of tree" but this seemed to be if you were moving the whole tree? I will be cutting it right down prior to moving it but what is the minimum rootball I could probably get away with?
by RayC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Moving a Hawthorn

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21500
What size/age of tree?
Do you have to do it now, or can you wait till fall?
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: RayC

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

Replied by brkirkland22 on topic Moving a Hawthorn

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21503
whew - so late in the year.
Can't wait? Get as much as you can. If it were early spring, I'd say you could take much less, even bare root it, but with this, I'd dig & keep all you can. When you get it home, put it back in the ground for now.
The general rule I use is digging a hole 5 - 6X the diameter of the trunk, and larger if you can handle it. Make sure you wrap that rootball good & tight during transport.
by brkirkland22

• RayC
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by RayC on topic Moving a Hawthorn

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21529
I'm trying to get him to wait but he wants to slab this area ready for summer. As my idea would have been to give it the chop now (so he doesn't notice it as much) then dig it up in the winter. I'm working on him.

Reverting back to something I mentioned in an older post, my friends mother passed away 2 years ago and they have finally sold the house. There is a privet maybe 2, and I believe a yew tree forming a large hedge (which blocks sunlight to the front room) and new owners are going to be ripping out the hedge. I have the opportunity this weekend to remove it, I'd like to know it's chances of survival this time of year also? I am referring to the privet but the other tree that I think is a yew has a very nice sized trunk which if possible I'd love to get too. I will get a photo in the next couple of hours as I'm going to water the soil for preparation whether or not the dig goes ahead I will leave with your opinions.

Thanks for your continued advice it is much appreciated.
Last Edit:7 years 11 months ago by RayC
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by RayC.

• RayC
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21533
Just went to have a good look to refresh my memory and got a couple of pics. I think the "yew" is actually a cedar I didn't have a good look at it last time lol

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I also found a Prunus spinosa which I like alot and have been keeping my eye out for one.

This message has attachments images.

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21540
Privet has a good chance of survival if you take care of it properly. The other two I wouldn't bank on, but since they're going to be gone anyway, take the chance & learn all you can.
by brkirkland22

• RayC
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21541
So far the way I plan to do it is to pre water the soil. Then on the day I plan to cut odd excess foilage and branches. Leaving something with life on each part if I Can. I will dig around the Base of the trunk hopefully getting atleast an area of 60x60 cm rootball.i have a reciprocating saw to do the root cutting and branches. Once I have dug out I hope to lift it out with another person into a box I will make. I will immediately place some more soil and add some akadama and kyodama at a ratio of 2:1:1 and water generously but not fertilised. It will be placed in a semi shaded area for 2 weeks.

If I have missed anything else important please tell me. I'm interested to know how much tao root to leave on (as obviously it is destined for a shallow pot eventually)

Thanks

• RayC
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21542
by RayC

This message has an attachment image.

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21547
With the privet, you could prune back even without leaving leaves on it - it'll push out growth no problem.
The main thing is to get it in good soil, soak it down really well, put it in a shaded/protected area, and leave it alone. The only time you need to re-water is to keep it from drying out (damp, not wet). Usually ~ once a week. Do this for at least a month.
Misting with water & some B12 mixed in can keep some nutrients on it (foliar feeding is absorbed through bark as well as leaves).
No fertilizer until new growth pops out again.
Don't move it much - new roots are fragile. Make sure it's secured into the pot really well.
No more pruning or training this year. Let it grow.
Rooting hormone always helps, especially with the first few waterings.
by brkirkland22

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Moving a Hawthorn

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21549
The privet should survive. Cut back drastically. Put in as small a pot as will take it. Make sure you get the roots free of the outer layer of old soil, so the ends stick in the new substrate. The transition might otherwise prove too much to cross.

The other plant is a firethorn by the lookos of it. I have found those to be strong too.

The cedar.. i am not sure. I hate them personally, so have never tried to keep one alive.
by leatherback