Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting a young privet 7 years 9 months ago #23580

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I post this, because I would like to hear criticism about doing this. I've read this way of layering soil in a book

This has been discussed on the forum before.

"Nearly 100 years ago, soil scientists demonstrated that water does not move easily from layers of finer
textured materials to layers of more coarse textured"

puyallup.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/site...ntainer-drainage.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting a young privet 7 years 9 months ago #23600

• gaeasblessings
  • gaeasblessings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you all very much for your input. I actually did read the information regarding the Ligustrum that is on this site, but it doesn't mention anything about the soil requirements, which was my main question considering it's not doing well in the regular potting soil. I was hoping that someone with more experience with this specific type of bonsai would be able to give me a more definitive answer of what is best. The Ligustrum page says a "basic Bonsai mix". Does that refer to the 50% Akadama, 25% Pumice, 25% Lava mix or is there a mix that is better for Ligustrum?

Repotting a young privet 7 years 9 months ago #23601

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

I actually did read the information regarding the Ligustrum that is on this site, but it doesn't mention anything about the soil requirements, which was my main question considering it's not doing well in the regular potting soil.

Isn't that what leatherback did?

The Ligustrum page says a "basic Bonsai mix". Does that refer to the 50% Akadama, 25% Pumice, 25% Lava mix or is there a mix that is better for Ligustrum?

That should be great, what I suggested would also be great.
Soil is a very debatable topic and it's hard to say what is better than what. If you use almost any recipe suggested on this site (and others) it will be good but you will get a personal preference with experience.

Ed

Last edit: Post by BonsaiLearner.
  • Page: