• Page:

TOPIC:

8 to 10 year old juniper question 7 years 8 months ago #23964

• simplysaid
  • simplysaid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54
I watched a video on re-potting a young juniper and the gentleman said that he recommends using a less draining soil for younger junipers because they will dry out quicker with most Bonsai soil mixtures and have a greater chance of dying.
Does anyone have an opinion about that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 to 10 year old juniper question 7 years 8 months ago #23968

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
If they are watered properly they will be fine

8 to 10 year old juniper question 7 years 8 months ago #23971

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

If they are watered properly they will be fine

Agreed. Less draining soil only means you water less; well-draining soil - you water more. I've young & old in well-draining, and all are very healthy. In fact, since I switched to well-draining, they've become healthier than ever. Vigorous growth, very green, very happy trees.

8 to 10 year old juniper question 7 years 8 months ago #23983

• simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
so watering is subjective to what type of soil and what type of tree and it's environment. I get it.
I was wondering if younger Junipers in particular, have a tendency to react better to less draining soil. I shouldn't have to paint pictures to make my point, but if we work full time or go on vacations and we can't get to young junipers as often as we'd like, would less draining soil be good or bad for young junipers? Do they have a tendency to dry out quicker than other species?

8 to 10 year old juniper question 7 years 8 months ago #23985

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
I don't see a problem growing plants in normal soil. I only use free-draining soil for my bonsai. My future pre-bonsai mostly are either in full soil, or in large pots with normal soil.

I don't really see the point in putting trees that are in the early stages of development into a specific bonsai soil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: simplysaid

8 to 10 year old juniper question 7 years 8 months ago #24025

• simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I don't see a problem growing plants in normal soil. I only use free-draining soil for my bonsai. My future pre-bonsai mostly are either in full soil, or in large pots with normal soil.

I don't really see the point in putting trees that are in the early stages of development into a specific bonsai soil.

I can see the logic in this. The young trees that I've had were very stressed out after putting them in Bonsai pots to make them either look cool, or to train their root growth. This is advice that seems to be left out of for many beginners. Putting a tree in a Bonsai pot, does not make it a Bonsai.

8 to 10 year old juniper question 7 years 8 months ago #24055

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

This is advice that seems to be left out of for many beginners. Putting a tree in a Bonsai pot, does not make it a Bonsai.

I think that is pretty much the main thing that Auk has been saying throughout this forum, and is being harassed about.. :whistle: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, tubaboy

8 to 10 year old juniper question 7 years 8 months ago #24262

• Dub C
  • Thanks received: 1

This is advice that seems to be left out of for many beginners. Putting a tree in a Bonsai pot, does not make it a Bonsai.

I think that is pretty much the main thing that Auk has been saying throughout this forum, and is being harassed about.. :whistle: .

As I am a beginner at bonsai I have to say before doing a ton of research on the topic myself, I can see why a lot of mis-informed beginners think this. I now understand why that is not the case. Two thumbs up to Auk, cause I now understand what he is trying to explain to everyone!

8 to 10 year old juniper question 7 years 8 months ago #24278

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Two thumbs up to Auk, cause I now understand what he is trying to explain to everyone!

Thanks man. Glad that at least some people understand that I'm not just trying to be a grumpy old man who is always giving negative answers...

• Page: