Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Broken pots in late Autumn ...repot or what ? 7 years 6 months ago #26967

• Mitty
  • Mitty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello all., I have been interested and involved in Bonsai since 1971. Illness has stopped play many times and the rest of my family are pretty hopeless, they can water and I have just purchased a new extendable watering wand.
The thing is a number of my Bonsai have been knocked over by my grandchildren and at any other time of the year I would just go ahead and repot. However some of the trees are sickly after bad black spot and some have already dropped their leaves.. What do you suggest ? I used to go ahead and repot without trimming roots or pruning .. ( that was years ago late 70 s when I just did what I thought. ) The other idea is what I did last year.....bound the broken pot with gaffer tape and wait until spring, that was 1 pot . If I do go ahead and repot without moving the tree too much, would it be prudent to use a slightly oversize plastic pot and fill round with Akadama or Grit. I cannot spend too long at this as my illness is bad and I cannot walk at present. I am in a wheelchair.
Thank for any suggestions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Broken pots in late Autumn ...repot or what ? 7 years 6 months ago #26980

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
You should be fine just slipping them into regular plant pots. Use whatever substrate you wish, but potting soil would do well enough.

n.b. To anyone who isn't English: Gaffer tape is the name for tape that is similar to duct tape but has a fabric backing rather than a plastic one, but is also British slang for duct tape.

Broken pots in late Autumn ...repot or what ? 7 years 6 months ago #26983

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
I broke one thee other day, I had no choice but to "re pot" The roots were disturbed by it breaking and a lot of soil fell off the roots. I potted it up and plaed it back where it came from. It will be fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MyBossHasABonsai

• Page: