Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Baobab Seedlings 7 years 3 months ago #28067

• Avara Jade
  • Avara Jade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello all :)

I'm new to the forum and was hoping you could share some wisdom with me.
I started growing a collection of seeds (baobab, Japanese red maple, and dragon blood) in the small pots flowers for gardens usually come in, intending to turn them into bonsai. Going off the info I could find online I planted way more then I needed, since only a couple we supposed to sprout.
Now the issue I was hoping to get some help with is that after three days the baobabs sprouted (instead of the month to a year they are supposed to take) and 16 days latter I have 22 trees ranging from ground level to 4 1/2 inches tall and they are getting pretty cramped (4 to a pot). Should I put them in bonsai pots? Trim them? Divid them into more little flower pots? I have not idea what I should do and when I should do it. I wasn't expecting them to grow so fast.

Suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Baobab Seedlings 7 years 3 months ago #28068

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
In general, in order to create a bonsai, you first need to grow a good rootspread, and a trunk. So best you just plant them in the ground and let them grow. Meanwhile, check whether Baobab close big cuts. Often bonsai are created by cutting down a tree of 3, 4, 5 or more metres and building a trunkline with that.

If the plants have started to create a real stem (So not just the think whitish stem) you can look at transplanting. Better to let them go for a bit, and get them stronger.

Baobab Seedlings 7 years 3 months ago #28069

• Avara Jade
Thanks leatherback,
Unfortunately I can't plant them outside, it's -28 c out there. I'll definitely let them grow a awhile longer.

Baobab Seedlings 7 years 3 months ago #28073

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Thanks leatherback,
Unfortunately I can't plant them outside, it's -28 c out there. I'll definitely let them grow a awhile longer.

at -28C they might not grow, ... at all

Baobab Seedlings 7 years 3 months ago #28075

• Avara Jade
So far they have grown a ton, way more then any of the sources said they would. Because it's so cold I've just got them inside with a grower light. I'll only have them outside in the summer.

Baobab Seedlings 7 years 4 days ago #30575

• 420Goku
Transplant them into their own big containers. Let them grow until you get the size of the trunk you desire. Then you trim the stalk and roots and place them in a smaller container. BONSAIIII!

Baobab Seedlings 7 years 4 days ago #30581

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Transplant them into their own big containers. Let them grow until you get the size of the trunk you desire. Then you trim the stalk and roots and place them in a smaller container. BONSAIIII!

Dude, seriously...

Baobab Seedlings 7 years 4 days ago #30602

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Dude, seriously...

Please don't feed the trolls :lol:

• Page: