• Page:

TOPIC:

Info Clarification 7 years 3 months ago #28580

• rtmitchell15
  • rtmitchell15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all,
I am hoping to get some clarification about info provided on bonsaiempire.com
In the 'How To-Repotting' section of the website, they state a good bonsai soil mix is a 2:1:1 mix of akadama, pumice, and lava rock. Then in the section for Japanese Maples , it states a mix of akadama with a little humus and kanuma is a good choice.
Can anyone shed light on why the mixes might differ? I understand that there are many different alternatives that work, but why would one of the recommendations contain a compost substance, and the other wouldn't?
Is it advisable to use a mix that contains some type of organic compost (humus, peat moss, etc) for trees that haven't began their bonsai life yet? I have 2 trees, a lemon and Japanese Mountain Maple, that I am letting grow freely for another year or two before beginning bonsai training. They both are in pots with only humus. Should anything else be added to this? (i.e. switching to a potting mix, or adding peat moss to the humus).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by rtmitchell15.

Info Clarification 7 years 3 months ago #28586

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128
As you noted, soil mixes/media vary across the board.
Some of the reasons for adding organic material into the mix include increased moisture & nutrient retention, and sometimes for soil acidification. Junipers & pines don't like to be wet and do very well in drier, nutrient-deficient soils. Maples, azaleas, and some other deciduous trees do better with soil that remains on the damper side, with azaleas in particular preferring a more acidic pH. Juniper roots don't fill a pot so quickly, and can therefore stay in the same soil for several years, decades even. When organic material decomposes, it clogs drainage & causes root rot, which isn't good for any bonsai. Deciduous trees, however, can fill a pot with roots in only a few years. Vigorous growers, such as willow, require repotting more often, and this, by default, means the organic matter is discarded before it breaks down completely.
This is just general guidance. The best advice is to research the type of tree you wish to keep, as you are doing, and learn what works best. There's no magic bullet for soil mixes (except maybe good draining properties). Hope that helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: