Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Help on reporting bonsai trees! 7 years 2 months ago #28857

• Rhirliman
  • Rhirliman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi.
I live in western NY and I'm fairly new to bonsai. I know a little bit about the basics but I'm eager to learn more. I recently bought a Chinese Elm and a mugo pine from online nursery. They came in what looks like regular potting soil. The soil seems to stay wet for a week or two. It's been about a month of this, it's winter and I'm afraid of root rot. I have stuff to make my own soil mix such as akadama, pumice, and lava rock. Would it be okay to repot now? Also, is there anything else I should add to my mix such as a little potting soil or bark? Any help would be appreciated thank you.
Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help on reporting bonsai trees! 7 years 2 months ago #28863

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
- the mugo pine is OUTSIDE right? It CANNOT be repotted now. I regularly kill pines, so I am not going to advice you on repotting this plant. But it should be done when the plant is active.
- The Chinese elm should be dormant as well. I would wait with repotting till early spring, when new growth occurs.

How do you water? If it is in regular potting soil, you have to be carefull watering.

Help on reporting bonsai trees! 7 years 2 months ago #28877

• Rhirliman
  • Rhirliman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Yes, both of them are outside. I pour from the top of the tree. I'm guessing I've just been pouring to much water. Thanks for the help

• Page: