Bonsai forum

Where to buy Bonsai as a beginner

• CaptainVanisher
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Where to buy Bonsai as a beginner was created by CaptainVanisher

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #80149
I want to buy one bonsai with a kit so I can grow it overtime. I am a beginner and don't have much experience with bonsais. This site seems very reliable and has good instructions but my problem is that it only has 3 options for indoor bonsai kits and I am not very excited with any of them. Do you have any suggestions or should I just start with one of the options given here?

I am in Greece so shipping to EU is expected.
by CaptainVanisher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1359

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Where to buy Bonsai as a beginner

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #80151
There are not one single tree that naturally grows indoors. It is possible to grow a very few species indoors, but they will never thrive. All of us grows trees outdoors. A very few of us keeps a ficus indoors in winter. But always outdoors in summer.

If you want to grow bonsai indoors, Ill recomend to get a jade tree from your local garden center. Not really a tree, but possible to make it look like a bonsai. Going for any other species indoors all year will just make you dissapointed and leave the hobby.

I have somewhere around 120 trees in different stages of development. Out of them 4 is purshased as bonsai, rest of them is garden center or colected materials. Out of the 4 ones I bought as bonsai, just one is from a place that have a regular stock of bonsais. The other 3 is from very temporary stock or from other hobbyists.

To cunclude: bonsai is created not purshased. Bonsai is an outdoor hobby.
by Tropfrog

• Northwood
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by Northwood on topic Where to buy Bonsai as a beginner

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #80159
I have great succes with ficus varities for indoor bonsai. I recommend ficus religiosa from seed. Fast grower but big leaves. Pommegranate would also do fine in your climate outdoor. Buy a pommegranate fruit and sow the seeds. I also recomend pondocarpus for indoor if you can get hold of it. Hard to come by as seeds. Olive is also a great bonsai for your region. All this plants can survive indoor with light and watering. But they will grow 5 times better outside in the summer. Good luck
by Northwood
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptainVanisher

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Where to buy Bonsai as a beginner

Posted 11 months 2 weeks ago #80168
Great to hear you getting into the hobby.

If you need to grow indoors, then you are limited to species which are tropicals; Raintree, Ficus, Jabuticaba are some of the species which spent a lot of time indoors in my house. However, for optimal health they go outside late spring and summer. Inside it is hard to keep them healthy.

You can of course get a tree from anywhere. Even a houseplant store! The starters on this site probably are ok. But.. Maybe a good plantshop locally can also help you, with the benefit of seeing what you buy.
by leatherback

• CaptainVanisher
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by CaptainVanisher on topic Where to buy Bonsai as a beginner

Posted 11 months 1 week ago #80234
Thanks for the advice. So I should start with a small branch or a seed instead of an already somewhat grown tree? (I am thinking about starting with olive which seems pretty enough)
by CaptainVanisher

• CaptainVanisher
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by CaptainVanisher on topic Where to buy Bonsai as a beginner

Posted 11 months 1 week ago #80235
Checked out all of your suggestions and I'll probably go with the olive tree. Do you have a site suggestion for buying fertilizer, good dirt, nice pots and cutters?

I've seen everything besides pots and wire on this site and they seem good quality if you have any other recommendations though, they will be greatly appreciated.
Last Edit:11 months 1 week ago by CaptainVanisher
Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by CaptainVanisher.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1359

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Where to buy Bonsai as a beginner

Posted 11 months 1 week ago #80236
Olive is a good choice for greece.

Bonsai wire is best purshased from a local bonsai store. Sorry, I am in sweden, have no idea about retailers in Greece.

I use locally produced substrates. Pumice and lava rock from iceland. Burned clay from Denmark and bark mulch from sweden. Do your research on what growing media is used locally.

The problem with an international forum is that it makes no sense to make advice on retailers as they may not be a good choice for you.
Last Edit:11 months 1 week ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Tropfrog.

• Northwood
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by Northwood on topic Where to buy Bonsai as a beginner

Posted 11 months 1 week ago #80237
Start with a few cheap nursery stock in differen varieties. Learn first to take care of the plants and make them grow before you start the pruning and shaping. If you only have one tree you most likely end up killing it due to constantly working the tree. You can find cheap tools and pots on aliexpress for beginners.
by Northwood