TOPIC: Dremel carving accessories

Dremel carving accessories 4 months 3 days ago #43513

leatherback wrote: Aoch.
I know the idea.. I once had a nibbler on my finger. Thing nearly took it off. I toughts I could hold the tree stable with one hand, and guide the tool with the other. I clearly could not. So yeah, just be carefull. These toys are no toys for messing around with.

Yup, need to pay extra attention with power tools. I have priority to protect my eyes, cause once I’ve almost lost one. It wasn’t tool usage tho...

Clicio wrote: Yes, most of the small ones like those below will clog in no time.
But I'm using them to make the finishing details and on small trees.

That’s it :) I would like to use them for detailing also.

I Have something In my head, tell me if it’s sounds effective or stupid... On deciduous trees, I don’t want to use lime sulfur. What if I do the rough job, I use a blowtorch to dry out the area, I use liquid mineral color to penetrate on the fibers and I fix all of that with Cyanoacrylate, before I go to the detailing work? On theory, I’ll have a surface already colored and hardened on the depth where my detailing need to be done.
  • Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 454
  • Thanks received: 157

Dremel carving accessories 4 months 3 days ago #43521

Felidae wrote: What if I do the rough job, I use a blowtorch to dry out the area, I use liquid mineral color to penetrate on the fibers and I fix all of that with Cyanoacrylate, before I go to the detailing work? On theory, I’ll have a surface already colored and hardened on the depth where my detailing need to be done.

Never heard of cyanoacrylate before, but...
Sounds like a good plan!
Let us know if it works. Living and learning.
  • Clicio
  • Clicio's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 1757
  • Thanks received: 698

Dremel carving accessories 4 months 2 days ago #43528

Jut keep in mind that broadleaved trees do not normally have a lot of intricate deadwood. They are very susceptible to further decay. The tree will throw up its ownbarriers against decay, but this will take a bit of time.

I am not sure why you want to use the superglue, to be honest. But maybe this is a trick from woodworking.
  • leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 4799
  • Thanks received: 1646

Dremel carving accessories 4 months 2 days ago #43531

Clicio wrote: Never heard of cyanoacrylate before, but...
Sounds like a good plan!
Let us know if it works. Living and learning.

That’s Superglue, just I write in a fancy way :)

leatherback wrote: Jut keep in mind that broadleaved trees do not normally have a lot of intricate deadwood. They are very susceptible to further decay. The tree will throw up its ownbarriers against decay, but this will take a bit of time.

Must be a solution to delay (for decades) or stop decaying. Maybe thinned epoxy could help, but I cannot use on the same place I use Cyanoacrylate.

I am not sure why you want to use the superglue, to be honest. But maybe this is a trick from woodworking.

Nailed it :) My father helped me with that trick during one of my school projects on elementary. We built and decorated working sailboat models from softwood, which was too soft and flexible for real detailed carving.

I’ve got a happy shock with my morning coffee... After some research, I’ve found out, the technique used very well on bonsai styling, and also detailed on Harry’s page. Bit differently than I thought to apply, but same story.. I really started to heavily appreciate his educational work.

HERE YOU CLICK
  • Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 454
  • Thanks received: 157

Dremel carving accessories 3 months 1 week ago #44370

I bought one of these: They are very reasonably priced and I update it piece-by-piece according to the size, shape, and quality of what the job requires. I reckon that I’ll eventually end up with a whole assortment of high-quality, professional bits … but until then I am getting damned good with what I’ve got.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

  • Oyster Sauce
  • Oyster Sauce's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 12
  • Thanks received: 0
Log in Register