Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Need help with tool brands 11 months 1 week ago #80187

• Anyong
  • Anyong's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi, I am looking to buy bonsai tools in the EU.
I want something good but dont want to spend a fortune on Masakuni, so I stumbeled upon 3 sites:
Bonsai.de where no brand name is displayed on products on the site expect from Masakuni, for some it just says made in japan.
Kaizen bonsai which their own brand if I understood correctly, but I cannot find much information or reviews online.
Bonsai plaza where they sell a brand named Matsu.

Does anyone have experience whit dose brands or those store?
Or are there some other good online stores where I can find Ryuga or Kaneshin tools?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need help with tool brands 7 months 1 day ago #81479

• dax100
  • Thanks received: 17
Hello Anyong
With the Ryuga Tools you get a good value for your Money and a lot of Shops sell this Tools in the EU.
Another option can be Dingmu Tools, i think both are japanese Companys and they produced in China.
I my mind: China-products can be cheap with a low Quality, but also a good Quality if you pay for it.

Need help with tool brands 7 months 15 hours ago #81489

• Fransen
  • Thanks received: 3
I don’t know how long you are working with bonsai, but why do you want these brands of tools? I’m a beginner and I just use tools from amazon. They work fine for me. I’m still learning everything, will I really notice the difference between using tools from any if the brands you’d like to buy and cheaper amazon tools? I mean some of the best artists recommended chopsticks for working with roots. Why would I buy a roottool? A bend fork works just as well as a rootrake.
I can’t look in your wallet and if you have the money to spend it on it, by all means, go ahead. For me, this way I save money I can spend on nursery material and trees.

Need help with tool brands 7 months 15 hours ago #81490

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
You only ever get what you pay for. Cheap tools are just that, and not good quality. It pays to buy the best you can afford and not the cheap ones that are not good value

Need help with tool brands 7 months 9 hours ago #81492

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
When I started in the hobby I bought scissors. That was all I needed. When I made my first heavy styling I bought a concave cutter. Since then I have bought two more cutters and smaller scissors. But I buy only if I need it for a specific tack. So now after 7 or 8 years in the hobby I own a total of 5 high quality japanese tools.

For splitting wood, I use big nail nippers. For root raking I use garden tools and hoof pickers. For Jinning I use normal flat pliers and a knife for laying rugs. For working soil into the root system I use a wooden plant support stick for cleaning the trunk I use a tooth brush. There are a lot of tasks can can be perfectly done without expensive japanese tools, pruning and branch cutting is not included.

So my recomendation is to buy good quality tools where it makes a difference and be creative for the rest of them. And only buy tools you need for a tack at hand.

OH, yes. I buy my japanese tools made in Japan from my local bonsai store. Since they are made for the japanese market there are no brand that I can read on them. But I feel comfortable buying tools from someone that spend half his awake time using them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fransen

Need help with tool brands 7 months 7 hours ago #81493

• Fransen
In reply to m5eaygeoff, I would have to add I don’t buy the cheapest of the cheapest. My wife always says: ‘buy cheap, buy twice’. And quality will show ofcourse.
But for me, as a beginner and hobbyist, there’s no difference between a 30€concave cutter from Amazon or a 50 or 60€ Japanese brand. I agree with Tropfrog on that. And again ofcourse, each to his/her own. Can you afford it and do you want it, go get it. :)

Last edit: Post by Fransen. Reason: Missed a few words

Need help with tool brands 7 months 6 hours ago #81494

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

But for me, as a beginner and hobbyist, there’s no difference between a 30€concave cutter from Amazon or a 50 or 60€ Japanese brand. I agree with Tropfrog on that. And again ofcourse, each to his/her own. Can you afford it and do you want it, go get it. :)

All my tools is in your upper range. I have never tried the cheaper ones and I have never said that there are no difference. It may be right, but I just don't know that. I put my trust into my local bonsai shop and use their prefered tools. Would never buy anything from Amazon. Not, books, not underwear not bonsai tools. I like to trade and support locally from people that know the products they are selling.

Need help with tool brands 7 months 5 hours ago #81495

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Some of our members at our club have bought cheap tools and they are appalling they are blunt, stiff and badly designed so they do not work well. there is a big difference between a 30Euro and a 50 Euro tools, been there done it thrown away.

Need help with tool brands 7 months 5 hours ago #81496

• Fransen
Tropfrog, you’re right, that’s not what you said. I meant I agree with you you don’t need to buy a jin pliers, wirecutters, when other tools do the job just as well.
And Geoff, you are right too. I don’t know the difference between a 30 and 50 euro tool. I mainly mean that as my ‘fault’, because I have not enough experience in dealing with bonsai, cutting, pruning, etc. The tools I’ve got are sharp and help me try things and learn. I don’t have an expensive tree where the difference of high quality tools is needed. I’ll only go there once I have learned enough that I know I can take care of one.

But most of all, I’ve been taking this thread from the original poster and turned it into a discussion about tools in stead of his question where to get the particular tools. I apologize and hope someone can weigh in with an answer for him:)

Need help with tool brands 7 months 5 hours ago #81497

• dax100
  • Thanks received: 17

.... will I really notice the difference between using tools from any if the brands you’d like to buy and cheaper amazon tools? I mean some of the best artists recommended chopsticks for working with roots.

Hello Fransen
Your are right, some proffesionals use odinary Gardenscissors ...
But the Ryuga & Dingmu Scissors strarts from 25€ and the Concavcutter 30€ , why i schould buy Nonametools from Amazon !?
Last Time i bought mid Size (200-210mm) Dingmu Scissor and a Concavcutter (new but from private), both together for 25€ , only for spare..i can`t say no.
I owned also some simple Bonsai-Tools, and yes ... they will cut , If i can buy named Tools or higher quality for little more Money , i will do that.
To support your lokal Dealer like "Tropfrog" does, is the right thing and commendable.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: