Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai tool sets 8 years 10 months ago #15961

• mickey 060858
  • mickey 060858's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Just a quickie, I have not jumped into the hobby feet first yet, still researching but any day now I will be starting out. I have seen bonsai tool sets advertised on the net for around 40 pounds and want then at hand before I even purchase my first tree cus I like new toys ( only joking!) Are these tools o.k. to start out with and then gradually replace them with tools of a higher quality once I get more experience or can some of the cheaper tools cause damage.
I already have items like wire cutters, root rakes etc. was thinking more about the snips and suchlike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai tool sets 8 years 10 months ago #15963

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Kaizen has tool sets, so does Greenwood Bonsai they are good for what they are. My opinion is that it is better to buy better tools one at a time as you need them, it may cost more to start but they will last a lot longer. Ryuga tools are superb and not too expensive. I have several of them.

Bonsai tool sets 8 years 10 months ago #15965

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

My opinion is that it is better to buy better tools one at a time as you need them

I agree with that.

I like new toys ( only joking!)

Not sure if that is really a joke, it seems something that happens with new bonsai enthusiasts: they go into some kind of collection-frenzy, buy pruning sheers, root pruners, root hooks, wire, soil, fertilizer, soil sifters, bonsai pots, fertilizer containers, concave cutters, knob cutters, tweezers, jin pliers, scoops and saws and then don't know how to use all that on their 12 euro mallsai...

All I really need is my twig sheer.

Bonsai tool sets 8 years 10 months ago #15967

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I just bought a set of tools from a guy who stopped.

A set with cheapo tools will last you a long time if you treat them well. The edge will go blunt a bit quicker. They bend moet easily. Those are the main downsides. But if you treat tools the way they were intended, and you have a good wetstond, you should be able to make them last.

100-euro tools are great if you are a professional and/or have many trees and therefor you use the tools a lot. If you just have one or two threes.. Just get a cheap set. No need to fork out loads of money especiaaly when starting off. You can then in a few years replace bend and/or blunt tools as you go.

Bonsai tool sets 8 years 10 months ago #15970

• mickey 060858
  • mickey 060858's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
thanks, will check out the suggestions!!

• Page: